FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV to DVCPROHD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian paterson
HDV to DVCPROHD
on Oct 30, 2009 at 2:30:29 pm

HI I was reading the interesting article by Gerry Hofman on working with HDV in FCP and am interested in trying the HDV to DVCPROHD method of cutting down on the rendering time. He says this conversion can be done in compressor 2. As I have never made any use of compressor but have dabbled with it unsuccessfully a couple of times and subsequently fought shy of it, is there some advice I can get about how to set up this conversion process. Also I didn't quite understand his phraseoligly when he said "The downside to this is the "double duty" spent in software compression after capture, as well as consuming more disk space." What does he mean by " the software compression after capture"? Also how much more disc space are we talking about.

Many Thanks

brian paterson

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: HDV to DVCPROHD
on Oct 30, 2009 at 3:44:53 pm

[brian paterson] "What does he mean by " the software compression after capture"? Also how much more disc space are we talking about. "

Meaning you capture your footage to HDV. Then you send all that footage through Compressor to convert to DVCPro HD after the capture and the resulting render time involved.

This is precisely one of the reasons why we run the AJA Kona boards here. They convert footage to whatever format we want it to be in realtime during ingest. No after capture rendering to do.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

brian paterson
on Oct 30, 2009 at 4:07:03 pm

Many Thanks Walter,
I checked out the AJA kona boards here but at One thousand pounds starting price that's way over my budget right now. I understand now about sending the footage through compressor but tell me would the quality be any less through compressor than it would be if I did buy an AJA Kona board. - By the way "export to compressor" always seem to be greyed out when I look at it. Can I just drag the capture files to compressor to do this.
Regards

brian paterson

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 30, 2009 at 7:05:04 pm

[brian paterson] "I was reading the interesting article by Gerry Hofman on working with HDV in FCP and am interested in trying the HDV to DVCPROHD method of cutting down on the rendering time."

Keep in mind that Jerry's article is out of date now and transcoding to DVCPro is no longer in fashion. Pro Res is a much better codec for this purpose. It's 10-bit vs 8-bit for starters, and there's much less temporal information lost during the transcoding process.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jeff York
on Nov 7, 2009 at 7:45:15 am

To echo what David said, you're going to want to get your footage into the appropriate ProRes codec for editing.

Before loading anything into Final Cut, take all of your digitized files, drag them into Compressor, attach the appropriate setting and destination, and "submit" the job.

Going the AJA route is great because you can do things in realtime instead of having to wait for Compressor to do its job, but the end quality result should be the same. Your footage has already been kissed by the HDV codec. It's not going to get worse.

In my travels, I'm always surprised to hear people who haven't embraced Compressor as a core part of their workflow. It's the right tool for many jobs. Especially cool with Compressor 3.5 is how easy making droplets for your desktop are. How many times does a client send you audio in MP3 format? I have an MP3 to AIFF droplet on my desktop. Poof, in seconds I have a useable file.

You know everything you had wished Quicktime Pro did? Compressor does it...and more.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]