FORUMS: list search recent posts

I used to do this in Discreet Edit*, can I do it in FCP?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
I used to do this in Discreet Edit*, can I do it in FCP?
on Oct 26, 2009 at 3:47:23 pm

When I was editing on Discreet Logic Edit*6, a feature I really liked was that I could razor the timeline and the newly-divided section of timeline would change background color behind the picon, to distinguish itself from the shots before and after the division; more importantly, I could then just highlight that clip on the timeline and with a few clicks rename just that clip on the timeline, leaving the rest of the timeline with whatever names the various clips came with originally.

I used to find this very handy, but FCP doesn't seem to do this that same way I'm used to. If I isolate a clip on the timeline by clicking on it to highlight, and then use the properties drop-down to change the name of it, the entire timeline invariably takes on the same name for *every* clip in it. That's not what I want. I would like to not have to leave the timeline and just highlight one clip and re-name it" Joe's front door", or some such, though it is a part of a longer clip originally called "various shots of Joe's house". I guess I'm sorta using the timeline for things most people use a bin for. I used to find this very fast and fun to do on the Discreet.

Is there a trick to do this the way I like to, or am I out of luck on this?

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: I used to do this in Discreet Edit*, can I do it in FCP?
on Oct 26, 2009 at 4:33:54 pm

I'm afraid FCP just does not work this way. Its master/affiliate relationship between clips is completely different, a master and all its affiliates have to have the same name.

You could make the sequence clips independent and then change the names, but the links to the master clips will be broken. The application is not designed to work the way you want to work.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 26, 2009 at 4:44:08 pm

I suspected as much, but thanks for a confirmation.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 26, 2009 at 5:01:29 pm

Mark,

Though not exactly what you're asking for, creating subclips in FCP is the closest thing I can think of to what you're asking for. Command + u creates a subclip, which can renamed however you would like. Read up on subclips in the manual and see if it can work for you.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Oct 26, 2009 at 5:08:34 pm

Just to add to what David said, you don't want to do this in the timeline, as it will make a sequence subclip, which is not a good thing. You have to make the subclip with browser clips before you edit them into the timeline.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]