FORUMS: list search recent posts

removing interlacing video errors...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Schorsch
removing interlacing video errors...
on Oct 15, 2009 at 5:29:50 pm

I recently went on a helicopter tour and received an (unprotected) dvd of the trip. Unfortunately there are some errors and noise in the DVD so I am editing it before showing it to my family.

I think I can manage to fix the audio (although I am happy to hear suggestions about cleaning up the loud audio pops in the recording when the pilot is switching radio channels), but I have no idea if there is an easy method to clean up the video noise in the cockpit camera.

Here is a sample of the artifacts I am talking about, the lines are not constant, they are flashes. This capture is from MPEG Streamclip.

I used MPEG Streamclip to get the file to Final Cut Pro, I am still trying different export formats to see if I can find the best one, the first one I tried seemed to make the noise worse. I am happy to hear a recommendation about this as well.

Thanks

-Brent

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: removing interlacing video errors...
on Oct 15, 2009 at 6:33:42 pm

This doesn't look like an interlace problem. It looks like radar interference. Was this a military helo? They often carry high power forward looking and ground radar that can disturb magnetic recordings as they scan. Used to drive tape decks crazy on carriers. Don't think there's anything you can do about it short of rotoing the frames.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 15, 2009 at 7:12:46 pm

I think this is tape tracking error caused by vibration of the helicopter.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Oct 15, 2009 at 7:22:04 pm

Good possibility. Either way not something that's easily fixable in post.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Brent Schorsch
on Oct 20, 2009 at 5:16:30 am

Thanks, I decided to leave the video as is, and only fix the audio.

-Brent

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]