FORUMS: list search recent posts

I've broken Final Cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Gladstone
I've broken Final Cut
on Oct 11, 2009 at 2:40:40 am

So, I'm editing along, Trimming glips in the "Source" monitor (i=on the left) and sometimes dragging straight to the timeline, sometimes dragging to the "preview" window (the monitor on the right - might be the wrong name) getting the insert/overwrite options. However suddenly ONLY the audio tracks start showing up. I check the track selection tabs, and move them, but still no luck.Dragging directly to thetimeline from the source works, but using the insert shortcut only brings in the audio.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Steven Gladstone
http://www.gladstonefilms.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: I've broken Final Cut
on Oct 11, 2009 at 5:23:20 am

Steven,

I'm sending you this cow pie because you haven't learned your appropriate Applespeak yet...

Left window = "Viewer"
Right window = "Canvas"

With regard to your issue with no video, see below...

Drag it over to toggle it back to "on."

Got it???

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
on Oct 11, 2009 at 11:12:23 am

Thank you David, no cow pie necessary. Is there a more basic forum than this one?

I know I've seen the "Viewer" referred to as "Source", but so happy to know what the "Canvas" is called.

As far as the other part, thanks, that may be it, I'll check back on the system Monday, but seems to make sense.

Steven Gladstone

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 11, 2009 at 12:12:24 pm

The cow pie is just my humorous way of encouraging you to think more Apple and less Adobe. Hoped to give you a chuckle...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
on Oct 11, 2009 at 2:12:09 pm

Off putting right before breakfast. :-)

Haven't used Adobe since 4.5

Former DPS Velocity user.

Steven Gladstone

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 11, 2009 at 6:39:27 pm

[Steven Gladstone] "Haven't used Adobe since 4.5 Former DPS Velocity user. "

I don't know why, but I thought you were coming from Premiere. I was a Discreet Edit* user myself, but managed to learn FCP very quickly. Oddly, trying to learn Premiere has proven so much more difficult that I gave up. In any case, you'll find that I often serve up a bit of humor along with my usually helpful answers.

On a serious note, I do suggest that you get acquainted with the FCP manual so you really do pickup the "Applespeak" of FCP. You'll find that it will really help you when reading and writing posts on the Cow, and when watching the myriad of free FCP tutorials that are all over the Web.

Meanwhile, keep at it...

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
on Oct 12, 2009 at 12:14:32 am

I actually "picked up" Final cut overnight, but the nuances are taking the time, and there are a lot of them.

The more I use the program, the more I like it.

If only I could get A B track dissolves, and understand how to control the bouncing audio clips as I move them, and maybe find the setting so that I don't accidentally overwrite one clip with another as I drag it.

Steven Gladstone

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Oct 27, 2009 at 3:00:00 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Oddly, trying to learn Premiere has proven so much more difficult that I gave up"

try again. ;-)

I find that whatever you're used to, anything else seems strange for a while. I found that moving from Mac to PC when I started working for Pinnacle Systems. Once I knew how to move around the PC, it ceased to be difficult.

while I'm most familiar with Premiere Pro, I find that the difference between FCP and Premiere Pro are modest at best. The biggest differences are around keyboard shortcuts in my opinion.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 27, 2009 at 5:10:11 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "I found that moving from Mac to PC when I started working for Pinnacle Systems. Once I knew how to move around the PC, it ceased to be difficult. "

That wasn't my issue, I was a Discreet Edit* user for ages, so I'm very conversant in Windows. It was Premiere itself that had issues. It just wouldn't do things it was supposed to do. I'd cut some stuff and hit render, and for no good reason it simply wouldn't render. Later, the same thing would render. After a while it was little things like that that drove me to give up. BTW, moving to the Mac and to FCP nearly four and half years ago was a breeze.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Nov 11, 2009 at 11:57:22 am

Well David, Premiere Pro has changed a lot and to be honest several years ago it deserved its reputation as a semi-pro editor, but no longer. I still think that many people do not give enough time to map out the 'change factor' involved in switching platforms or software or both.

Oddly enough, I find FCP sometimes very difficult because of the way it does things - but that's mostly because I'm most conversant in Premiere Pro and so I don't knock FCP for that...As I like to say, it's 99% user error (or impatience!)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]