FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copying project for editing on another system

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Gladstone
Copying project for editing on another system
on Oct 8, 2009 at 12:59:51 pm

Hey, I'm taking my laptop, with my project on an external drive. I'm going to be editing at another place and I think the facility has a more recent version of FCP (I'm on 6, not sure what version they are on.)

So I want to make a copy of my project and open that copy in the facilities edit suite, so I know i can always open my original project back up.

Is there a command for that? I don't want to copy all the media again, just duplicate the project. Do I just copy the .fcp project in the finder, and then paste a copy?

Thanks.

Steven Gladstone
http://www.gladstonefilms.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
Re: Copying project for editing on another system
on Oct 8, 2009 at 6:28:24 pm

just save a copy of the project file onto the external drive (file-->save project as). Take the drive to the post house and you'll be good to go. But, make absolutely sure that you have transferred ALL the media to the external drive....this includes still images, background/graphics from a third party, etc. Too often do I use still images that are saved to a folder on my desktop and forget to grab them when moving my drive to a different machine.

It should be noted, if they are using a newer version of FCP, you won't be able to open the project on your older system....this isn't microsoft word.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 8, 2009 at 7:10:47 pm

[Dennis Leppell] "make absolutely sure that you have transferred ALL the media to the external drive....this includes still images, background/graphics from a third party, etc. Too often do I use still images that are saved to a folder on my desktop and forget to grab them when moving my drive to a different machine. "

This is actually one of several reasons to use Media Manager to copy the sequence to another hard drive.

All you need to do is select the finished sequence(s) in the browser, open Media Manager, and use the copy function to copy all the underlying files to a firewire drive, and it also creates a new project on that same drive with just the sequence(s) you selected. There is no relinking involved either.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
on Oct 8, 2009 at 8:41:50 pm

I've considered using MM, but with how broken it was in FCP5, I've never actually tried using it since 6 came out. Usually I'm only needing a handful of pics, and can just usb drive them over (or drop box via the network) to where I need them.

Return to posts index

Henry Truong
on Oct 13, 2009 at 6:42:22 pm

The media manager suggestion sounds like the best way to go. But if you're only linking to a few small files then just a copy/paste of the project file and a reconnect shouldn't be too difficult. Since you'll be using a newer version of FCP to work on, you could always go the XML route to be able to bring the changes back to your system.

-henry

HD Creative Services
http://www.hdcreativeservices.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]