FORUMS: list search recent posts

splitting one large quicktime file into smaller ones

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan freshman
splitting one large quicktime file into smaller ones
on Sep 28, 2009 at 11:24:58 pm

I have an hour long quicktime and I want to split it and rename all the pieces I split; is the best way to do this with trimming within quicktime? Or is there a better way in final cut?

thanks
dan

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: splitting one large quicktime file into smaller ones
on Sep 29, 2009 at 12:27:08 am

There are a lot of ways to do this in FCP. What format are you working with?

One way is to add markers, select the markers in the browser and convert them to subclips.

Or do you want actual, separate QuickTime files on your hard drive.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

dan freshman
on Sep 29, 2009 at 2:09:05 am

Hello,

I'm working with 10 bit uncompressed quicktimes. I have recently discovered marking DV footage and creating subclips. If I compress to DV will this work?

Also down the line, I think i'll need self contained quicktimes of the subclips. Is this possible? Part of the problem is i'm not sure of the future workflow of this media.

thanks for the help,
dan

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Sep 29, 2009 at 3:13:31 am

No, because there won't be any start/stop information on the recompressed media. It's looking for a date/time stamp recorded by the camera. By putting in markers you're basically doing the same thing as DV Start/Stop Detect, only manually.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

dan freshman
on Sep 29, 2009 at 3:19:45 am

that makes sense. After I add markers manually, is there any way to get self contained quicktimes from that timeline?

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Sep 29, 2009 at 6:34:59 am

You don't add the markers in the timeline, you add them to the clip in the viewer. The markers are in the browser. Select the markers and converted to subclips. You can batch export to make them into separate QT files, though I'm not sure why you'd want to do that.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Wade Johnston
on Sep 29, 2009 at 12:29:46 pm

Just do it in Final Cut and lay it out in your timeline and using in and out points you can use the 'blade" too and cut the clips.

Wade Johnston
Multimedia Designer
http://www.multus-media.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]