FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP camera and capture issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lyn Beiler
FCP camera and capture issue
on Sep 26, 2009 at 3:06:22 am

Hello all - I am having trouble capturing to FCP and would appreciate any help, for I am at my wits end.

I recently got Final Cut Pro 5.0.1, and commenced to log and capture, then 'capture now' an entire MiniDV tape using my Panasonic PV-GS180 camera, which is connected to the tower with a firewire.

What happens is I am capturing the footage (I can see it in the preview screen), when after only a minute of capturing my camera's onboard screen pauses the frame, the timecode sets back to all zeros, and then the 'frame by frame playback' icon starts to flash on its screen.

When I hit esc in FCP it has a window come up saying that the audio and video may be out of sync. I hit 'ok' and then it shows the regular 'logging' window and I can have it start capturing again, but only for about a minute before it stops it.

I did double-check to make sure that the option in the user preferences to 'abort capture' with dropped frames was not checked, nor is the 'warn when on time code breaks' checked.

I have never used this camera with FCP before either - it has always been used with a window computer before now for capturing and had no problems. I am thinking this is something more to do with the camera than FCP, but who knows.

Thanks again for your help!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: FCP camera and capture issue
on Sep 27, 2009 at 4:28:28 am

Hi Lyn,
By any chance your media HD is formated as FAT-32?
Have a look, and if so, you need to format your media disc as HFS.
Best,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
on Sep 27, 2009 at 12:00:40 pm

Is it possible your camera is set to record audio at 32Khz, instead of 48Khz. 48Khz, in the camera can also be shown as 16 bit. If it is set to 32Khz, or other than 16bit,I've had problems with some edit systems.

Hope this helps.

Steven Gladstone
http://www.gladstonefilms.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 27, 2009 at 2:43:27 pm

Good point this.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Lyn Beiler
on Sep 27, 2009 at 8:47:14 pm

Hi, thanks for the input so far! I double-checked the HD formatting and that wasn't the issue. But I did look into the audio on the cam, and the two options you have with this cam is to record at 16 bit (48 kHz), and 12 bit (32 kHz). Unfortunately, when I was in the menu options for audio on the cam, it only gave me the options for 12 bit ST1, ST2, or mix. I tried each option to see if the 12 bit would then change, but it remained as 12 bit for all 3 options. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Lyn Beiler
on Sep 28, 2009 at 11:52:20 pm

Hello again. I looked more into the settings on the video/audio within FCP, as well as my camera, and found the problem was indeed the 32 kHz that I'd recorded the tape as.

I changed it to 32 kHz in the audio/video in FCP, and then also changed it to 16 bit on my camera so it'll be good to go on future shoots.

It is capturing the footage fine now that it was changed in FCP. I'm so relieved to have that settled now. Thanks for the tip, Steven, and for your help as well, Rafael!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]