FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues and thoughts

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Gladstone
Issues and thoughts
on Sep 24, 2009 at 7:37:42 pm

Hi, just beginning with FCP, here are a few things I'm not loving, although probably I just don't know how to do what I want yet. FCP 6

1. Renders shouldn't be lost if you mute a track, so you have to hit undo to get them back, it's silly.

2. Clips being linked ought to be clip based not timeline based.

3. Locking a track which has a clip with linked audio/video, should prevent the clip on the unlocked track from moving horizontally.

4. How can I lock horizontal movement of a clip, so I can bounce it from track to track, without worrying about it moving side to side.

Thanks.

Steven Gladstone
http://www.gladstonefilms.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Issues and thoughts
on Sep 24, 2009 at 7:49:49 pm

[Steven Gladstone] "1. Renders shouldn't be lost if you mute a track, so you have to hit undo to get them back, it's silly.
"

That's the way it has been until FCP 7.

[Steven Gladstone] "2. Clips being linked ought to be clip based not timeline based.
"

They are.

[Steven Gladstone] "3. Locking a track which has a clip with linked audio/video, should prevent the clip on the unlocked track from moving horizontally. "

Depends on what you're doing. There are many times when I've moved the audio on a clip independently of the video and vice versa. Pretty much on a daily basis.

[Steven Gladstone] "4. How can I lock horizontal movement of a clip, so I can bounce it from track to track, without worrying about it moving side to side. "

Hold the Shift key before you select it and while you move the clip. The works in a multitude of audio and video applications too by the way, not just FCP.

Have fun!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
on Sep 24, 2009 at 8:05:27 pm

Cool, thanks.About the clips being linked, If I put a clip on the timeline, and move the audio or video, if the linking button on the timeline isn't selected the clips aren't linked.

Might not be explaining what I want here, thanks again for the response, I'll check 'em out and use them.

Steven Gladstone

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 24, 2009 at 8:39:26 pm

[Steven Gladstone] "3. Locking a track which has a clip with linked audio/video, should prevent the clip on the unlocked track from moving horizontally. "

Steven,

As you will find over time, FCP has many features that may seem overly complicated, convoluted, or in many cases contrary to what you may have learned while editing on other systems. While far from perfect, FCP's power is in it's flexibility, which puts many more options and decisions in the editor's hands than most other systems. However, that power and flexibility comes at a price, because it does force the editor to think a little more about what he/she wants to accomplish. More options=more decisions, more decisions=more thought, more thought=more time to synthesize.

Right now you're thinking that a video clip with audio should simply be linked, or unlinked, period, end of story. Why the heck should there be another button that unlinks an already linked clip, right? Well, you will eventually come to understand that this "feature" that may now trip you up, will eventually not only become second nature to you, but it will become a powerful tool that will ultimately give you more control over your timeline and ultimately make you more productive.

Over time, you will find that while some things in FCP are not intuitive or even logical, there is something actually quite "organic" about FCP, and that you will learn to appreciate many of the things that now really bug you. Just hang in there and keep editing.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
on Sep 24, 2009 at 9:54:06 pm

Hi, thanks.

I'm sure I will find the way to customize it the way I want, just in time to move to FCP 7. I'm already getting used to the interface, and I like being able to use nodes on the video as well as audio clips. I am used to AB tracks for dissolves though, miss that.

As far as linking clips, it is something I will get used to, but I'd rather be able to have clips on the timeline that are either linked or unlinked, and the choice be clip based. This may change, but right now I think it is because I am used to using a mouse and two screens, and using a laptop and having to slide back and forth on the track pad to a button is straining my hand. :-)

Steven Gladstone

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Sep 24, 2009 at 10:17:28 pm

Well said. I agree...I'm finding FCP to be frustrating and eye opening at the same time! It's a strange paradigm.

My favorite part of FCP is the keyboard customization...it's absolutely amazing. No other program I've ever used comes close to the levels of customization you can do. Premier is close...but still inferior. AVID's doesn't even compare.

So in that respect - BRAVO FCP.

When it comes to losing renders when doing something as simple as placing a clip above a render to see what it looks like, then deleting it...and having to re-render. BOOO FCP! :)

I especially appreciate all the people (don't you guys ever work?!) to answer questions for all of us learning FCP. Thanks guys!

-Jason

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 24, 2009 at 10:43:07 pm

[Jason Brown] "When it comes to losing renders when doing something as simple as placing a clip above a render to see what it looks like, then deleting it...and having to re-render. BOOO FCP! :)"

Instead of deleting the clip just hit the undo command, then you won't have to re-render.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Naiche Lujan
on Sep 30, 2009 at 10:51:06 pm

Hate to state what may be obvious, but I was really frustrated in the timeline until I discovered:
Shift+L (toggles linking)
&
N (toggles snapping, which can also be used as a temp toggle while in the midst of an operation)

Still, if you are still used to another program, there is nothing that can remedy that except time.

Best

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
on Oct 7, 2009 at 1:40:53 pm

Option + click on the clip.

That does most of what I want.

Wow, now I'm happier with FCP.

Oh, and Motion, VERY NICE.

Steven Gladstone

Return to posts index