FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nesting in Final Cut Express

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Thomas
Nesting in Final Cut Express
on Sep 24, 2009 at 4:44:51 pm

Hello,

I'm working with Final Cut Express 4.0 (FCE 4) and for the life of me cannot find anything describing how exactly to nest clips. I know FCP does this with a simple right click, though it appears you can't do it in Final Cut Express.

Can anyone describe how? (if it's even possible,..)

I do apologize if this is the incorrect forum, I couldn't find a Final Cut Express. Please direct me to the proper place if needed,

thanks!

David Thomas
Zero State Reflex

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Nesting in Final Cut Express
on Sep 25, 2009 at 11:57:10 am

There is no nest items function in FCE. You simply have to copy the clips you want to nest, make a new sequence, and paste the clips into the sequence. Then use that sequence in your master as a nest. So if you going to nest basically you edit your material into one sequence and then place that sequence inside another.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

David Thomas
on Sep 26, 2009 at 2:28:39 am

Ah, thanks for the quick response Tom, much appreciated.

This just confirms my need to upgrade to FCP.

Alas, per your description and my limited knowledge thus far it appears that this won't actually be the same as nesting (?). As I understand it nesting allows one to say have 3 separate clips (all on the same layer, cut, but up against each other in the timeline) and after nesting (FCP) I can do a global adjustment to all clips, i.e. change the color saturation on all without having to do each one individually (as I'm doing now in FCE). Would your answer accomplish the same thing?

Also, the way I'm working the video I have two clips. Two separate layers, one an exact copy of the other layered on top of one another, same duration of time. I'd like to "grab" both clips and size them at the same time instead of doing each one individually. It appears I can't do this..(selecting both and trying to grab the corner to proportionally adjust both at the same time so they line up exactly.) Is this possible?

As I'm new to forums if I need to start another thread or do a search please let me know. I'm not clear on the etiquette yet.

Thanks so much for your help!

David

David Thomas
Zero State Reflex

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Sep 26, 2009 at 5:11:38 am

Yes to both questions.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]