FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choosing the right external hard drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Irena Fayngold
Choosing the right external hard drive
on Sep 16, 2009 at 8:00:44 pm

Hi

I'm an AVID editor but a new project is forcing me to enter the FCP world. I don't know yet if this will be a SD , DV or HD project.

Am I correct to understand that for SD and DV Firewire 800 drives are adequate but that if I am working with HD it would be better to use eSATA connections? Is it just a little faster or would I be seriously slowed down editing HD with Firewire drives?

Do new Macs come with eSATA or is it a card I need to purchase?

Thanks so much.
Irena Fayngold
Teachers' Domain
WGBH

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Choosing the right external hard drive
on Sep 17, 2009 at 1:40:05 am

Hi Irena,
An eSATA will clearly be faster than a FW800. However, unless you work in Uncompress or with a few layers, FW800 should be enough.
You will need to purchase the eSATA card.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Irena Fayngold
on Sep 17, 2009 at 3:12:28 pm

Thanks so much for your response. I found out the project will be HD and I've been working mainly with DV for years now. I have a lot to learn about Final Cut and working with HD.

In AVID, when I digitize or capture, I can choose to bring SD video in at different codecs or compressions - like DV25, DV50, 1:1 or 2:1 etc
When you say that eSATA will be better if I am working uncompressed, I assume you mean that Final Cut has similar choices about what compression I capture at? Is it standard practice to work offline with HD (capturing lower compression for editing and then recapturing later at full uncompressed to finish)? what compression would you recommend if I go with Firewire 800?

Thanks,
Irena

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 18, 2009 at 2:47:15 am

Hi Irena,
Unless you work with Uncompress (I think that 1:1 in AVID) or 2K, there is no really much need to off-line and recapture.
As Walter pointed, with a RAID with FW800/eSATA you will be able to work with all the flavors of DV, HDV, DVCPro, XDCAM etc. Normally all these formats download through FW, SxS card or so. You work in the native format with the original quality.
If you want capture through an IO card, the codec of choice is Prores. Is like the AVID DNxHD .
10b Compressed very high quality and support different compression levels.
If you have more questions, just post.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 17, 2009 at 12:37:15 pm

[Irena Fayngold] "Am I correct to understand that for SD and DV Firewire 800 drives are adequate but that if I am working with HD it would be better to use eSATA connections? Is it just a little faster or would I be seriously slowed down editing HD with Firewire drives? "

For up to DVCPro HD and ProRes 720 at least, if you have a multiple drive Array with 2 drives or more in it, you should be just fine with either FW 800 or eSATA. You will need to purchase the eSATA card, though some of the external arrays will include this card with the drives.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]