FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can anyone help me match this color treatment

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john henion
Can anyone help me match this color treatment
on Sep 13, 2009 at 8:58:49 pm

Hi there,

I have a client that really likes the color treatment seen in the linked sample:

http://accidentalprod.com/_clients/teru_media/picture_2.png

I've been trying to emulate it with Magic Bullet Look, but haven't come close yet. I'm sort of a novice at manipulating color, so I was wondering if anyone here in this forum might be able to provide me with a few tips.

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Can anyone help me match this color treatment
on Sep 13, 2009 at 10:19:34 pm

Analyzing what they've done to the sample is only half of the equation. You need to include a frame of the video you're trying to colorize so we can tell you precisely how to get the color effect you're looking to achieve.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

john henion
on Sep 13, 2009 at 10:29:52 pm

Thanks David, sure thing:

http://accidentalprod.com/_clients/teru_media/still_raw.png

It's DVCPRO HD 1080i60, 29.97 shot from an HVX200

Appreciate your help...

john

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 13, 2009 at 10:49:24 pm

Try this on for size John... That took me 35 seconds using the FCP 3-way CC Filter.

If you like it I'll tell you how to do it easily, and you'll be able to improve upon it easily as well.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

john henion
on Sep 13, 2009 at 10:58:02 pm

I do like it...I tried using the 3-way color corrector as well, but wasn't able to make the ink pop like you did. What's the secret?

thanks!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 13, 2009 at 11:21:45 pm

Here' a screenshot of the settings in my 3-way display. Notice that I have blasted the mids and whites, while compensating by crushing the blacks. That also gave us the jet black ink as well.

BTW, my whites are bit hot, you'll need to take them down a touch to make them legal. When you do, you may have to raise the black level a touch to compensate.

I've been doing lots of color correcting this year on feature docs, DVD features, and TV shows. If you do it a lot and focus on nothing else, you can become amazingly good and fast at both analyzing color and grading.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

john henion
on Sep 14, 2009 at 3:51:49 am

Greatly appreciated David. You are a scholar and a gentlemen!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 14, 2009 at 4:14:12 am

Thanks John, if I can ever help don't hesitate to ask.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 14, 2009 at 4:30:26 am

[David Roth Weiss] "I've been doing lots of color correcting this year on feature docs, DVD features, and TV shows. If you do it a lot and focus on nothing else, you can become amazingly good and fast at both analyzing color and grading. "
Few years ago, just having a look to the 3W-CC made me sick. Now Color Grading had become for my self almost the most rewarding part of my work.
Cheers,
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 14, 2009 at 4:40:30 am

[Rafael Amador] "Few years ago, just having a look to the 3W-CC made me sick. Now Color Grading had become for my self almost the most rewarding part of my work. "

You Rafael, I don't know why, but I have also developed and enjoyment of my work as a colorist more than anything I else I do, including directing.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
on Sep 16, 2009 at 4:05:10 am

I concur. When I first started CC'ing my stuff, i skipped directly to the 3-way to learn to use the most powerful tool FCP had to offer (at the time). Now, I take it as a personal challenge when I get footage where the camera is all over the place with the white balance (I work on a fishing show, so color temp fluctuates throughout the day, especially if you add interiors of a resort cabin). And if things get a little hot to make the color balance and contrast and look right, the broadcast safe filter is always a lifesaver.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]