FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shots of the same person multiple times in one shot?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Douglas
Shots of the same person multiple times in one shot?
on Sep 11, 2009 at 7:07:19 pm

Hi All,

Here's a hopefully easy question. I was wondering what the technique is called that allows you to place a multiple versions of the same person into the same shot. So Sally #1 is walking, while Sally #2 is sitting and eating peanuts to the right of Sally #1, and so on. I've been looking for tutorials, but without the right terminology it's become somewhat of a crap shoot trying to find tutorials on the method to construct this type of shot using FCP or any other post software (Motion, AE?).

Anywho, if anyone knows what words I should be using to search for this kind of tutorial that would be great, or even better if you can link me to a tutorial that'd be awesome!

Thanks!

Scott

--------------------

check my stuff out at http://scottkdouglas.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
Re: Shots of the same person multiple times in one shot?
on Sep 11, 2009 at 8:37:14 pm

In photography terms this would be multiple exposure. Lock down the camera on a tripod. It works best/easier if you segment your scene to individual areas where your subject won't interact with themselves in the final composite. Now, first shot you need is a clean plate....the scene itself, with nothing in it. Now, have your actor do their thing in each position.

When you get to post, you have a couple of options. You could try using a difference matte, but I don't have experience with this so cannot recommend it, though in theory it should work. What I would do place your clean shot on V1. Place your various actor shots directly above it. Using garbage mattes (or the crop tools in the motion tab), isolate the actor in each shot. Use a mask feather to blend them onto the clean shot. If filming this outside, do all the filming quickly so there's little discrepency in the shadows.

Option 2, film everthing on a solid color background, which you would then key out, and can then place in the scene at your discretion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]