FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dropping media into track splits the other tracks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dixon
Dropping media into track splits the other tracks
on Sep 8, 2009 at 9:32:32 pm

When I drop a video clip onto a new track, it "splits" whatever is on the other tracks, both audio and video, unless I drop the new clip at the very end after all the other media that's already on the timeline, then drag the new clip all the way back to where I need it to be. Is there a way to drop new media onto a track without splitting all the other tracks?

I realize that's a newbie question but it's important to me, I learned to edit on Sony Vegas in Windows and am trying to re-learn on Final Cut.

Return to posts index

Steven Lambion
Re: Dropping media into track splits the other tracks
on Sep 9, 2009 at 5:53:05 am

If I understand what you mean, there's a very thin horizontal line on a track. Dragging a clip to the track and releasing the mouse above the line pushes all other tracks out of the way of the new clip. If you want the track to overlay on top of others underneath, release the mouse below the horizontal line.

Another idea is to move the head in the right position for the clip on the timeline, then drag the clip over to the canvas window (which will make a few options visible). Drag the clip to one of the options.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Dropping media into track splits the other tracks
on Sep 9, 2009 at 6:02:21 am

This why you are making an "Insert" while you want to do an "Overwrite".
When you drag the clip to the sequence you get a gray square with a harrow. If the harrow is pointing down you will get your "Overwrite". When the harrow points to the right, you will get an insert.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]