FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing...befuddled

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Seils
Capturing...befuddled
on Sep 4, 2009 at 8:45:06 pm

I'll start off by saying that I know this is not optimal, but I really need to capture a tape that has breaks (bad camera) in the timecode. I know that by default, FCP is supposed to stop capturing at a break in timecode, but there are also settings that allow tapes to be captured ignoring it and reporting after. However, for some reason, the system is ignoring this and aborting the capture when the break occurs. how do I truly get FCP to ignore this anomaly in the tape as it is supposed to do?

Don Seils

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Capturing...befuddled
on Sep 4, 2009 at 9:20:15 pm

Did you set up the recording as "uncontrolled device"?

usually doing this, tripping the tape machine into play manually and hitting "capture NOW" should do it, works for me.

Only time it occasionally doesn't work for me is if there is such massive drop-out on the tape or out of spec luma levels that it freaks out the encoder. Then I just re-capture that part going forward, usually get it on the second try. Have a great weekend.

Return to posts index

Don Seils
on Sep 4, 2009 at 11:54:55 pm

Thanks Mark...since this is caused by a faulty recording mechanism in my camera, I'll just capture usiing a discreet deck. I can only assume that timecode or control track is not the problem but rather signal dropouts on the tape. I tried this arrangement on the tape and everything worked fine in capture.

Don Seils

Return to posts index

Bill Scheerer
on Sep 8, 2009 at 2:12:28 am

If all else fails and you have two decks make a copy of the original source tape and use the duplicate with "new" continuous timecode as your new source tape. If you are feeling real ambitious do assemble edits on the new tape and take out the real bad sections manually.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]