FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing for Video Mapping (Final Cut Pro 6)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Simeone
Editing for Video Mapping (Final Cut Pro 6)
on Jun 2, 2016 at 2:14:11 pm

Final Cut Pro 6? Really?

Yep ... a friend stopped using it gave me the original discs. It works great for my purposes, which is creating visuals for my bands live shows.

Before my question, here's some background ...
My band is moving into the realm of using multiple screens for our live shows. We will be mapping at least seven videos on seven different screens.

For our shows opening sequence, seven different videos will all share the same audio.

Considering that, my thought was to use one FCP project with seven sequences (one for each video for each screen), and render each sequence to separate videos along with the master audio.

The seven rendered videos will then used be in a video mapping software during the live shows.

My question ...
Is there a way to have seven FCP6 sequences share a single, master audio track that can be played while editing each, individual sequence?

Thanks,
Chris

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Editing for Video Mapping (Final Cut Pro 6)
on Jun 2, 2016 at 4:16:46 pm

Let's start at the beginning.

Who has the experience in synchronized, multi-screen playback? What playback system will be used? Do you have the specs you need to deliver?

Once you get those, you can work your way backwards to set up your project properly.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Simeone
on Jun 2, 2016 at 5:16:11 pm

Hi Dave, thanks for your response.

We are a nostalgic tribute band that reproduces (on a smaller scale) tours from the past. A lot of the video already exists and I am splicing it together. Some animations and video I am creating because they just don't exist.

Who has the experience in synchronized, multi-screen playback?
I own the band. Since we have a very limited budget, it's mostly all on me. :)
I've been reviewing and learning video mapping software for live events for the past year. I have created a 3D model of our stage design and have started designing and rehearsing the mapping in that environment. Of course there will be lots of rehearsal when we're ready to go live.

What playback system will be used?
Since our entire show depends on audio backing tracks with a click track, all video and lighting needs to be synced. We are using Vezér, a timeline based midi/osc/dmx sequencer for Mac OSX, to sync lighting and video with our backing tracks. And for the video mapping we are using Coge VJ, VJ software for Mac OSX. We will be using several Mac Books over a private wired network. We have a small production crew in case of crashes or glitches. However, we've only had one major failure that delayed our show for 10 minutes in the 7 years we've been doing this. That said, it's about to get more complex.

Do you have the specs you need to deliver?
For now all I know is all video is 4:3 aspect ratio.

-Chris

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 2, 2016 at 4:47:20 pm

[Chris Simeone] "
My question ...
Is there a way to have seven FCP6 sequences share a single, master audio track that can be played while editing each, individual sequence?"

No. FCP isn't built for this purpose. It's designed for broadcast work, web video, video out on DVD. Not for editing for multiple screen playback, each screen getting a feed from a different timeline.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 2, 2016 at 5:00:10 pm

[Chris Simeone] "Is there a way to have seven FCP6 sequences share a single, master audio track that can be played while editing each, individual sequence?"

Yes, create one sequence for your audio only, and cut the audio from that sequence into each of your sequences. Treating a sequence as a clip in this way is called nesting, and there's a whole section on this in your manual on page 416.

One big advantage for nesting: updating the main audio sequence will update the instance of that nest within each of your seven sequences.

One big warning on nesting: nesting is a nightmare if you have to take your project anywhere else other than FCP (XML, EDL etc.).

Really, check it out in the manual. It's very well-written, and once you know what it's called, it's easy to find.

You could also use nesting to create a preview of your entire video, where you have each of the the seven sequences nested, scaled down, and repositioned in a master preview comp.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 2, 2016 at 5:14:39 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Yes, create one sequence for your audio only, and cut the audio from that sequence into each of your sequences. Treating a sequence as a clip in this way is called nesting, and there's a whole section on this in your manual on page 416. "

Sweet. I like being shown I'm wrong from time to time. Means that I don't know everything...and that there are always ways to get things done. Thanks Walter!

Now I'd like to know how you play back all of these sequences, at the same time, sync'd perfectly...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Simeone
on Jun 2, 2016 at 5:28:10 pm

Shane, in my case, I am just using FCP to create the videos that will be mapped during our live show, so I will not play back all of these sequences at one time in FCP.

Each video sequence will be edited one at a time, and rendered to separate videos. Each video is a composite of video segments spliced together.
The audio bed is already completed and each video segment is manually synced to the audio until the entire video is produced.
And I'm doing this seven times.

Finally, using Coge VJ a VJ software for Mac OSX, each completed video will be mapped to several screens during our live show.

-Chris

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 2, 2016 at 5:46:33 pm

[Shane Ross] "Now I'd like to know how you play back all of these sequences, at the same time, sync'd perfectly..."

Big events, concerts, etc. use media servers -- networked devices designed specifically for this sort of task, which are capable of integrating with lighting and show control systems, which are built to maintain sync and can treat individual pieces of media as instruments with all kinds of live-adjustable properties.

We use media servers like Dataon WATCHOUT, Coolux Pandora's Box, d3, and Millumin. There are other common media servers including Green Hippo Hippotizer, PRG Mbox, Catalyst, Avolites Ai, and Agora.

Then there all kinds of VJ software like Resolume, Arkaos, VDMX, and a zillion others.

And then there are all kinds of programmable systems like TouchDesigner, Processing, vvvv, Isadora, Jitter/Max/MSP, etc...

There are actually quite a lot of options purpose-built to handle tasks significantly more complicated than "just" playing seven HD videos in perfect sync.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Chris Simeone
on Jun 2, 2016 at 5:18:44 pm

Awesome Walter. Thank you! I will try that tonight.

-Chris

Return to posts index

Chris Simeone
on Jun 2, 2016 at 10:38:22 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Yes, create one sequence for your audio only, and cut the audio from that sequence into each of your sequences. Treating a sequence as a clip in this way is called nesting, and there's a whole section on this in your manual on page 416. "

I Googled "FCP nesting" and there is lots of great info online.
Here's the search: http://uzoo.rocks/fcp-nesting.
Thanks again Walter!
Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]