FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Drift using FCP7 Log and Capture - Non Controllable Device

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc D'Amour
Audio Drift using FCP7 Log and Capture - Non Controllable Device
on May 30, 2016 at 8:38:08 pm

Hello All...

I've got a bunch of old Hi-8 tapes that I'm trying to digitize. Because FCPX doesn't have a "non controllable device" setting (or at least one I can find) I've gone back to Final Cut 7.

My setup is this.

1. Footage from Hi-8 played on original Sony CCD-TR101 camcorder
2. I output to a Sony DCR-PC120 camcorder so I can convert to digital Firewire
3. I use the Firewire into my computer and use FCP7 non controllable device to capture the footage

The problem is this. My tapes are between 1 and 2 hours each. If I digitize using this method, by the latter part of the tape, my audio is about a second out of sync. Of course it drifts (some it isn't something that I can shift my entire audio 1 second to match) which makes it tough to maintain sync. FCP7 even warns me after my capture that the "audio sample rate of one or more of your captured media files does not match the sample rate of your source tape."

I have to use non controllable device to capture here, right? Do I need to introduce a box like this http://www.amazon.com/Grass-Valley-Canopus-77010150100-Converter/dp/B00030A... between the Hi-8 camcorder and the Sony DCR-PC120 to streamline sync?

I read through Matt Lyons tutorial on audio drift but I believe it all pertains to media that is actually coming from a stamped (timecoded) source. As soon as I choose non-controllable device I believe I'm telling FCP that all bets are off (no original time code) right? If so, how does it even know I'm out of sync (which everything is?)

Any and all help is appreciated.

Marc

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Audio Drift using FCP7 Log and Capture - Non Controllable Device
on May 31, 2016 at 12:48:19 am

I gather you are putting the signal into an old DV camera to convert to DV codec, firewire out. If so make sure the camera is set to 48khz just like the capture sequence and make sure your Easy Setup matches all that exactly too.

Return to posts index

Marc D'Amour
on Jun 2, 2016 at 5:15:55 am

I don't know if my camera allows to "set" that data. Is that something standard? The camera of concern is the one converting to DV via Firewire, right?

When you say "make sure your Easy Setup matches all that exactly too" what other than 48khz do I need to make sure matches?

Thanks for your help. I'm not strong in this area so I appreciate your patience.

Marc

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 2, 2016 at 6:44:28 am

Usually DV cameras allowed the audio to be set to 2 channel (48khz) and 4 channel (32khz) sample rate. If you can find in the menu a setting for 2 or 4 channel, make sure it is on 2 so the sample rate is 48khz and also in FCP the easy Setup is matching before you make a sequence. Easy Setups determine the default values when you make a sequence.

You can also drag a clip into a new sequence and if it says it needs to change the sequence settings to match the clip then say yes and then check sequence settings to see what the audio settings are. A mismatch between sample rates of the files to the sequence may be your problem

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]