FORUMS: list search recent posts

Old Mac Pro and FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Ericsson
Old Mac Pro and FCP 7
on May 25, 2016 at 6:03:46 pm

I am hired to work with a project in FCP 7 and I realize, since I have been using Avid for the last few years, that I need to buy both the software (I only have FCP 6 at the moment) and a Mac Pro.

I have been looking at a used Mac Pro and wonder if anyone know how this work with FCP 7:

Mac Pro, Quad Core, 2.66 ghz, 16 GB RAM, (early 2009) model: A1289

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-quad-core-2.66-...

I plan to install an USB 3.0 card and use an external drive with footage and project.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Old Mac Pro and FCP 7
on May 25, 2016 at 6:37:43 pm

That computer will work fine with FCS 3 (FCP 7) Do not install an OS over 10.8. 10.9 breaks many of the other apps. The optimal OS for Final Cut Studio 3 is 10.6.8.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Ericsson
on May 25, 2016 at 10:23:03 pm

Thank you very much! That was really helpfull!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 25, 2016 at 6:40:56 pm

That's like asking if a used car will suffice for your needs without telling us if you plan to race it, drive it to work, or put it in a museum. What codecs and frame sizes are you planning to edit?

FYI, I'd think about and 8-core late 2008 model or beyond if I were you, unless you're just doing home videos.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Steve Ericsson
on May 25, 2016 at 10:22:16 pm

Thank you for your reply! You are right, of course. I just donĀ“t know at the moment, since I will be getting an external drive. But I will see if I can find out.

One question, why would you prefer the 8-core late 2008 (or beyond) to the one I suggested? What would be the difference?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]