Simon Moorhead
Correct OS for FCP 7 and Motion 4/5
on May 25, 2016 at 5:18:25 pm

Hello,
I have an early 2008 Mac Pro.
Processor 2 x 3 Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 8GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 880 GT 512 MB

I use it for general work with office for mac, but mostly for Final Cut Pro 7 and Motion

A while ago, I upgraded my OS to Yosemite without thinking. Stupid i know.
Since then my machine has been running very slow-lots of Final Cut elements do not work. Motion 4 refused to work at all, so i upgraded to Motion 5, as I was desperate to get a job done-lots of stuff still didn't work, as Motion 5 doesn't seem to like FCP7 9also, I think my graphics card is not powerful enough), but I got through the job.

My question is-what can I do to get my system back on track?
I have lots of free memory, as my hard drive is 4TB, with over 500GB free.

Do I need to reinstall an earlier OS? If so, how do I do this and can I guarantee that FCP7 and Motion 5 will work with it? I really want to keep FCP7, rather than moving to FCP X.

Any help would be very gratefully received!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Correct OS for FCP 7 and Motion 4/5
on May 25, 2016 at 6:22:16 pm

Snow Leopard was the last "officially" supported version of the OS, however many users all over the world are running under every later version including El Capitan.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 25, 2016 at 6:40:03 pm

[Simon Moorhead] "My question is-what can I do to get my system back on track?"

Keep the OS at 10.6.8. Two options..back up all the information on the current drive, then erase it, and install 10.6 and update it to 10.6.8, then install all the apps from scratch again, and recover the backed up footage...or install a second drive and put the 10.6 OS on that, and install all the apps again from scratch. That way you have two OS drives...one of them for use with FCP 7

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 26, 2016 at 11:34:34 pm

For years I would always approach an OS update the same way. Buy a new system drive, Install the new OS and reinstall FCP and the whole studio package. Clean install and all good. I could then dual boot to either the old drive with working OS & older software or the new drive.

Bit late now but that technique of having an old OS with old software is even more relevant today. Installing new OS will eventually break FCP7 etc. Just a matter of time. I have my 2009 Mac Pro frozen in time with Snow Leopard and FCP. It gets used occasionally. I upgraded everything else to WIN and home made PCs that kick freckle for half the price of a trashcan.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]