FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut pro 7 4K playback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frederico Cengarle
Final Cut pro 7 4K playback
on May 25, 2016 at 12:53:13 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had an insight on this. I'm trying to playback some UHD files (Prores 4444) trough one of our 4K monitor.. Our system is hooked on a Kona 3G (with the latest drivers installed), so we change the firmware to set it to Quad 4K but when we look in FCP7, to set the video device to Aja Kona 3G Quad it mays ''missing Aja Kona 3G 4K psf 23.98''

My question is, is there something we need to install so FCP 7 will let us choose the Aja Kona 3G 4K output? Or is this a limitation of Final Cut pro 7?

Thanks a lot
Fred

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Final Cut pro 7 4K playback
on May 25, 2016 at 3:23:03 pm

My interpretation of what you wrote is that you're missing the firmware from AJA. Did you try a firmware update?

Return to posts index

Frederico Cengarle
on May 25, 2016 at 3:34:09 pm

HI Mark,

thanks for the quick reply. I do have the Aja Firmware installed. In fact, if I look at my Aja control panel I can set it to Quad 4K. But in FCP, the video device is missing (greyed out) as shown in the screen grab attached

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 25, 2016 at 6:43:45 pm

Sure, that's because FCP Legacy was end of life's before 4K was in use anywhere, and it only really supports 2K frames maximum.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Frederico Cengarle
on May 25, 2016 at 7:18:18 pm

Thanks a lot David,

So 4K playback in FCP 7 is a no go? Do you know if FCP x supports it? Can FCPX output though a Kona card or is it only sharing (compressing) files?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 25, 2016 at 7:54:41 pm

X does indeed support 4K both natively and by transcoding to a mezzanine codec such as ProRes, which it does in the background. That being said, X does require that experienced users learn entirely new and unfamiliar nomenclature and editing techniques that are unfamiliar to most and require a learning curve that many are not willing to take the time to learn. In my opinion Premirre and Resolve offer most FCP user the easiest and most inuitve path for migration to a new NLE.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Frederico Cengarle
on May 25, 2016 at 8:04:34 pm

Thanks again David,

but does FCPX allow output through Kona card? For this particular project, w're not looking for an edit station but just a way to playback (with basic controls) our 4K in a 4K monitor (through Kona3g)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 25, 2016 at 8:24:12 pm

Certainly it does... All NLEs work with Kona cards except Resolve, which requires a Blackmagic card.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 26, 2016 at 12:46:19 am

Kona also has a playbak direct to card from a file so you don't even need an NLE just for file playback. Same with Decklink. It has its own media player.

I used to use the Kona one to output DNxHD files to a HDCam becasue FCP7 always crashed or got the gamma wrong.

Return to posts index

Frederico Cengarle
on May 26, 2016 at 12:47:50 am

Thanks for the cue Michael

Return to posts index

Frederico Cengarle
on May 26, 2016 at 12:47:23 am

Thanks a lot David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>