FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating an mp4 that is twice the width of 4K

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Camin
Creating an mp4 that is twice the width of 4K
on May 24, 2016 at 2:52:24 pm

Hi, I'm creating an animation that will be displayed over 2 4K tvs and the company setting up the hardware is able to feed an mp4 that is the full width.

I'm having a hard time finding a converter that will output at this resolution. The only thing I can find is Quicktime Pro, but it will not support the 'h.264' codec, but rather the 'mp4 basic or mp4 improved' and both product terrible results, even at very high settings (50 Mb/s).

Looking for help. Thanks!

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Creating an mp4 that is twice the width of 4K
on May 24, 2016 at 3:14:09 pm

Somehow this doesnt sound like an FCP issue -- it can't go beyond 4k to save its life... which was over 5 years ago, anyway.

What software are you using?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
on May 24, 2016 at 3:17:51 pm

Well, I couldn't find a great place to ask this question, so I thought getting the attention of video editors, people who are very likely to deal with this might be the best bet.

I'm using After Effects to create the animation.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 24, 2016 at 3:25:46 pm

And, you should use Adobe Premiere to create your deliverable, not FCP Legacy.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 24, 2016 at 3:29:23 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 24, 2016 at 4:36:36 pm

Oh. Well, ask the display guys if they can transcode files when they import them for playback. I bet they can. That way, you're not saddled with trying to make mp4-h264 files that are eight-stinkin'-k wide.

Now, you COULD give Adobe Media Encoder a shot, but I don't hold out much hope for that. Mp4-h264 has only a very limited set of standard resolutions, and I highly doubt 2x4k is one of them.

Make a nice QT in Photo JPEG. The whole planet can read it. The file size will be huge, but that's why God made cheap storage.

One last thought: use a product from Telestream to make an odd size mp4-h264. it MIGHT be able to make your deliverable: no guarantees. It will be pricey -- as in about four figures pricey.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]