FORUMS: list search recent posts

Risks of installing FCP 7 on a new 2015 iMac running El Capitan?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Bruce
Risks of installing FCP 7 on a new 2015 iMac running El Capitan?
on May 17, 2016 at 8:40:11 pm

I've been using FCP since it came out on long form documentary projects. FCP X won't work for media mgmt reasons.

Have both an old 2009 Mac Pro and 2010 iMac running old OSX - but these work horses are slowing down.

Have my original software package in DVD-R form.

Thinking of buying a 2015 iMac with SSD drive (or Mac Mini with same) to partner with my brand new 16 GB Caldigit T4 Thunderbolt 2 array.

This is a job I expect to spend the next 10 months on. I'm very reluctant to start with an entire new edit platform as FCP 7 does everything I need. But I'm nervous about how well FCP 7 will work on new machine / OS.

The mere fact that I need to buy an external DVD drive just to load the software gives me pause.

What else should I fear?

Pros/Cons of mini vs Imac?

I look forward to your thoughts.

Cheers,

Jim

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Risks of installing FCP 7 on a new 2015 iMac running El Capitan?
on May 18, 2016 at 12:08:55 am

[Jim Bruce] "What else should I fear?"

That this is the 4th OS release since FCP 7 was discontinued...and every one of those releases goes further away from supporting the app. Each one doesn't take FCP 7's functionality into consideration. Compressor doesn't work....nor Motion, nor QMaster. Color has issues. And FCP 7 itself won't operate at full capacity...the issues that can happen are random. From sync issues to general crashing. A lot of people don't report issues, but there is a risk that they can happen...no support is no support.

QT 7 no longer ships, you need to install it separately. QT is the engine of FCP 7, and Apple is stripping more and more functionalities from QT each update.

[Jim Bruce] "Pros/Cons of mini vs Imac?"

iMac...you have a monitor already. The processor will be much better, as will the graphics card. For when you will eventually move to another editing app. And you will have to, eventually.

If you have working computers that support FCP 7...stick to those. You won't gain anything installing 7 year old software (5 years discontinued) onto a new machine. You won't see much boost in speed, in fact, you lose a lot of functionality (those three apps stop working). IMHO...if you must use FCP 7, stick to using it on an other computer with a supported OS.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jim Bruce
on May 18, 2016 at 4:21:56 am

Thanks for your reply, Shane.

The main reason I'm hoping to upgrade CPU is to take advantage of faster/larger capacity Thunderbolt Storage (CalDigit T4 - we will have prob 10 TB of footage when we're in the can - so we're beyond the simple 1 firewire drive scenario) and also like the idea of an SSD which should make my ProRes HQ timeline hum smoothly along.

I'll still have the old systems standing by. Just trying to see what problems lurk before buying a new CPU.

Any thoughts on installing 10.8 on the new iMac to try to work around some of those compatibility issues? (Compressor would be the only bummer for me and I could run that on the old machines - graphics will be done in AE, color at a facility)

Or cloning my current iMac 10.6.4 hard drive and running that from the new SSD on the iMac?

Thanks again,

Jim

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 18, 2016 at 4:50:09 pm

[Jim Bruce] "Any thoughts on installing 10.8 on the new iMac to try to work around some of those compatibility issues? "

YOu cannot install 10.8 on a new iMac. The only OS the new machines can run is the one that came out at the time of their release. You are stuck with 10.11 on that new computer.

[Jim Bruce] "Or cloning my current iMac 10.6.4 hard drive and running that from the new SSD on the iMac?"

Won't work. For the above reason. There is firmware in the OS for all the new hardware the iMac has, and it cannot run the older OS, for that OS lacks essential files to make the computer work.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on May 18, 2016 at 5:10:23 pm

Some people like to count the years that FCP7 is "out of date" which seems a bit of an academic exercise. We can edit on what works for us.

Can old Mac motherboards be replaced to run USB 2 or 3, which are quite fast? Will they address SSD drives? I dunno.

The wisdom of Larry Jordan, which I subscribe to, is to keep old hardware and old OS systems if you want to run old software. That's why I'm running Premiere Pro CC 2013 on Mac OS 10.8.5 on a Macbook Pro. By the way, this 2013 Macbook Pro has a Thunderbolt connection. Maybe you could find one of these.

Cheers,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 18, 2016 at 5:15:40 pm

[Robert Withers] "Some people like to count the years that FCP7 is "out of date" which seems a bit of an academic exercise. We can edit on what works for us."

I still use it for many things...and I online for clients who still use it. It's very useful. I also happen to keep an older MacPro with supported OS on it for this purpose. Yes, FCP 7 still works, still works well for many editing needs. But trying to get it to work on current hardware and OS versions is the issue...many components break and the core of the app, QT, is gutted.

[Robert Withers] "Can old Mac motherboards be replaced to run USB 2 or 3, which are quite fast?"

No. The only motherboards that work are ones that Apple makes. And the newer boards need the newer OS due to the new components in them...and then you run into the issue of the new OS and old software. Note that your mac already has USB2...but that it isn't a good connection for video editing. USB3 is...and that can be added to MacPros via a PCIe card.

[Robert Withers] "The wisdom of Larry Jordan, which I subscribe to, is to keep old hardware and old OS systems if you want to run old software."

YUP! That's why I have the Old Mac Pro.

[Robert Withers] " That's why I'm running Premiere Pro CC 2013 on Mac OS 10.8.5 on a Macbook Pro. By the way, this 2013 Macbook Pro has a Thunderbolt connection. "

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro that also has Thunderbolt...so I too have the best of both worlds. It also has USB3 and FW800...and Ethernet. But yes...I'm needing to upgrade my computer soon...but this one will still work for other needs.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jim Bruce
on May 18, 2016 at 6:48:58 pm

Thanks again for weighing in, Shane...

I haven't purchased the new iMac I was considering yet - so trying to explore options that remain now that you've crushed my (misplaced) dreams of a new iMac running 10.8...

I do have a 2011 Macbook Pro with Thunderbolt - and I need to replace the hard drive anyway - so I could install an SSD and go that way though I do find the laptop with External monitor + keyboard more annoying to work with than just a simple Mac Pro or iMac.

But I'd love to have a 2nd system for helpers - which I guess relegates me to searching for 2012 iMacs of the refurbished kind.

Or rolling the dice on a new system with 10.10 or 10.11.

If all else fails and I have to go FW 800 on the old systems is there any large capacity (12-16 TB) single Firewire drive you'd recommend?

Not trusting those options was what drove me to the Caldigit T4 in the first place.

And daisy-chaining 4 or 5 TB firewire 800s seems like a recipe for unhappiness.

Thanks again for any and all advice.

Jim

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 18, 2016 at 6:55:43 pm

I use my MacBook Pro for most of my work. I have it on a pedestal, then connect a keyboard and mouse to it, and that's one monitor. Then Thunderbolt out to a Thunderbolt Dock, and from there to an external monitor, and then out to an IO card for client monitor and video capture. You can loop a TB Raid in there too if you want...I have two internal SSDs too.

Here are blog posts on that:

http://lfhd.net/2015/03/24/adding-2nd-internal-ssd-to-macbook-pro/
http://lfhd.net/2015/06/13/thunderbolt-docks-a-review-2/
http://lfhd.net/2014/01/20/thunderbolt-expansion/

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jim Bruce
on May 18, 2016 at 7:45:35 pm

Thanks for the links to your MBP setup. The Thunderbolt Dock option looks like a cool way to manage the external monitor / TB Raid bottleneck.

Last question - for my 2nd system I found a link to buy a refurbished mid 2011 iMac (MC813LL/A) with SSD from a reputable seller but it comes with 10.9 installed - but when the computer came out (it still has USB 2.0) it was definitely either built for 10.7 or possibly even 10.6

Any thoughts or concerns re: the best path to downgrade to 10.8?

Buy the 10.7 install disks on EBay and then upgrade?

Is there a way to go from 10.9 to 10.8 on the App Store (10.8 is the first version where there were no disks)?

Thanks once again,

Jim

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 18, 2016 at 8:44:55 pm

[Jim Bruce] "Any thoughts or concerns re: the best path to downgrade to 10.8? "

You need a stand alone installer for 10.8...like something on a Flash drive. Apple doesn't sell these. Apple releases the OS as downloads only, and you need to make these yourself. If you can get the 10.8 download..I can link you to how to make a flash drive installer.

[Jim Bruce] "Buy the 10.7 install disks on EBay and then upgrade?"

Apple doesn't make 10.8 available anymore. They only have 10.11 available. When the latest OS comes out, they keep the previous one up for one month, then remove it. You'll have to find someone who has it.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on May 18, 2016 at 9:46:06 pm

I see 10.8 USB installs for sale on ebay.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Jim Bruce
on May 19, 2016 at 4:36:21 pm

Hi Shane,

Many thanks for even more good advice. One more question if I could:

Called an Apple authorized tech place and if they install a new SSD for my MacBook Pro they've offered to load "any OS I'd like"...

So which OS would you most recommend for FCP 7?
Any of the specific versions within those?

I believe you said you're occasionally operating FCP 7 with 10.9.5 on one of your systems - but mostly sticking to 10.6 for maximum happiness.

I need to have at least 10.8 for the Thunderbolt storage this whole process is aimed at utilizing.

I will be keeping my 2 old iMacs with 10.6 and the full studio setup for use with Compressor (my fave for converting Archival footage) and emergency situations. I never use Motion, Soundtrack Pro, or Color.

I will also be getting a refurb'd iMac 2011 with 10.9.5 installed and am wondering if there's some wisdom in having 10.8 on the MBP so hopefully if I have FCP bugs they won't be the same problems on both systems.

As always, much obliged for your advice...

Cheers,

Jim

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 19, 2016 at 4:54:25 pm

[Jim Bruce] "So which OS would you most recommend for FCP 7?
Any of the specific versions within those?"

10.8....and the latest update always. It's the last to support all the FCS 3 apps. I use 10.9.5 because I have to for other apps I use. But if I went to 10.10, or 10.11...like I tried once, several other apps I rely on don't work. It's a tough balance. And I don't use Compressor anymore, I have Media Encoder and Squeeze.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jim Bruce
on May 19, 2016 at 9:15:27 pm

Thanks again Shane!

I've ordered new RAM and an SSD Drive for my old 2011 MBPro which I'll have installed with 10.8

Also managed to find a late 2012 iMac (built for 10.8)) that I will pack with 32 Gb RAM (SSD install seems dodgy there). Fingers crossed that between the two of them I can get one more big project done with FCP 7 while enjoying modern Thunderbolt storage...

Much obliged for your guidance as I struggled to navigate this "upgrade"...

Jim

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on May 18, 2016 at 6:57:55 pm

I just bought a used 2012 MacBook Pro for that very reason. It took a while to find this particular machine, but it was worth it. Just installed an SSD this weekend and loaded it up with 16Gb RAM. I also removed the DVD drive and replaced it with a 1Tb conventional hard drive. I found a Thunderbolt/eSATA adapter to use some of my legacy external RAID drives with the laptop and also found a USB3 to HDMI adapter for a second monitor. In the meantime I keep my old 2009 Mac Pro running Snow Leopard just for FCP7. I haven't upgraded anything for a while and it's been rock solid running FCP, Adobe 5.5 Suite and a boatload of utility applications. Not so much as a hic-cup in years. The secret is to get it running well and then DON"T TOUCH IT.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]