FORUMS: list search recent posts

Back to MiniDV Tapes - Timecode Error

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimena Mora
Back to MiniDV Tapes - Timecode Error
on Apr 5, 2016 at 10:21:35 pm

Hello:

Im digitazing material from MiniDV tapes into FCP7 with a Sony DVCAM. But I keep on getting a timecode error.
I have set the handles to cero. And I have also unclicked that option. But nothing seems to work. Does anybody know the answer?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Back to MiniDV Tapes - Timecode Error
on Apr 5, 2016 at 10:42:58 pm

If your tape has many timecode breaks...say it was shot TIME OF DAY and you started and stopped a lot. You can't capture the tape as a whole chunk. You can't mark IN at the head and OUT at the tail. You need to press PLAY and then hit CAPTURE. And then you might need to babysit this and do it multiple times, as when the TC break is hit, FCP will try to find the next start point, but won't always get it right.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Apr 6, 2016 at 12:09:45 am

you say you've set handles to zero,
but have you tried reducing your pre-roll time as well?

it's so long since i've captured from tape i've forgotten where you do that.

nck

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Apr 6, 2016 at 1:31:01 pm

Just go through your tape and mark in/out each clip with enough heads on the incoming mark to be a bit more than your preroll. Most of the time you can get away with a 2-3 second preroll. Go through the entire tape logging the clips. After that, go and do a batch capture of the clips on the tape. With a little luck it will be pretty much automatic at this point. When you are finished, you will have a bin with the captured clips in it and timecode that matches the original code on the tape.
If there are timecode breaks throughout the tape, you cannon just capture the entire tape at once, but you can use the Uncontrolled Device preset to capture the entire tape using the Capture Now command, but the resulting timecode on the clip will have no relationship to the timecodes on the original tape. If matching timecode isn't an issue, this way should still work.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 7, 2016 at 8:00:53 pm

Second the motion on Tom's suggestion of "set to uncontrolled device".

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]