FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7: Film Frame Text

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Hawco
FCP7: Film Frame Text
on Apr 1, 2016 at 3:21:18 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to create text in FCP7 that looks similar to the text on the edge of film? The image linked below shows the look I am going for, the reverse with a white background would also work. I'm not sure of the font or how to create a soft edge inside the text with an orange glow.

http://images.creativecow.net/u/97951/screenshot2016-03-31at4.48.00pm.png

Thanks in advance,
Jared

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP7: Film Frame Text
on Apr 1, 2016 at 4:07:50 pm

Precisely what are you trying to accomplish by doing this? Do you simply want to put text over video, or is it more complicated than that?

The nature of the completed shot will determine if you should even try to use FCP. You might need After Effects or Motion.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jared Hawco
on Apr 1, 2016 at 4:23:20 pm

It will just be text on top of Super 8 footage, that's why I want to try to replicate that look. I wasn't sure if FCP was capable but I figured this was a good place to start. My Super 8 footage still has the sprocket hole on the left, if possible I would like the text to also appear as if you are seeing "through" the film.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 1, 2016 at 4:36:58 pm

Yeah, this is pretty much beyond the scope of FCP. Especially when you want the transparent part of the text.

Consider what's in the transparent areas of that Super 8 footage: Scratches. Fingerprints. Dirt. Assorted schmutz. Sprocket holes.
Thing is, you don't HAVE any transparency. You have an opaque, sort-of-white area where you see the above-mentioned items.

And it's all moving. The film's probably drifting and chattering in the gate, too.
Better to use a different application.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jared Hawco
on Apr 1, 2016 at 4:50:09 pm

I have already placed the transparent, off-white area from the sprocket hole inside my text using the alpha travel matte. But, the text edges are still sharp, if I could soften the edges and add that glow to make it look like film it would satisfy my needs.

Either way thanks for the speedy replies, I will have to try my luck in the Motion forum.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 1, 2016 at 4:59:53 pm

Okay, cool. Then you might just want to make the text in Motion. It shouldn't be too tough to pick a non-descript, insitutional-looking typeface and put a tiny bown or orange glow on the edges. You'd be set.

FCP's set to make good-looking text. This is a case where good-looking doesn't count. Hence Motion.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Apr 2, 2016 at 12:26:50 am

you can try the various BLUR filters that FCP offers:
basic gaussian blur, or one of the de-focus effects.

the bloom filter in the "stylize" family of filters may be useful, i think,

i also think that you might need more than one layer of text,
so de-focus the top layer,
and a stronger defocus (ro bloom??) on the bottom layer, for your orange edges.

good luck,
nick

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Apr 2, 2016 at 12:04:10 pm

I'm not completely sure of your intentions here but it would be relatively easy to create this in Photoshop, with any required areas of transparency and a text glow to give the color fringe. If you don't have, or use Photoshop, ask someone who does.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 4, 2016 at 2:05:03 pm

Getting the font right will be important. Clip out a sample of that "E", turn it upright, and try it in "What the font". Or google search "Eastman Kodak film edge font" and see what comes up.

Bloom effect under the "glows" settings may indeed work. You might also try doubling or tripling the layers of the same letter, and playing with drop shadow settings, adding a little red to the black and adjusting the blurs, then changing the compositing or "blend" modes, and the opacity of the layers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]