FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage stutter on External JVC monitor but not on Desktop monitor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Smith
Footage stutter on External JVC monitor but not on Desktop monitor
on Mar 24, 2016 at 2:53:34 pm

Hi all,

I have some footage (possibly HDV), that I'm not sure how was captured/edited/transcoded. The final product is APR 1080i LT in .mov wrapper.

When watching it on computer's monitor I see no major artifacts during motion. But when viewing it on FCP7 via BlackMagic Decklink card on JVC broadcast monitor I notice a stutter during motion.

This happens only with this particular footage and on more than one workstation, so I presume the footage has been badly transcoded.

What's puzzling me is that the footage plays fine on computer's monitor - both when exported from FCP7 and played in QT and when played in FCP7 internal monitor window.

Has any of you come across a similar issue?

Many thanks,
Robert

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Footage stutter on External JVC monitor but not on Desktop monitor
on Mar 24, 2016 at 3:51:28 pm

You have an issue with fields on the footage, which must be interlaced. Since field issues do not show up on computer displays that would explain why you only see them on your video monitor. This is one of the reasons why professionals always monitor with a TV or broadcast monitor, and why amateurs without I/O devices and real video monitors often get their shows rejected by broadcasters.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Rob Smith
on Mar 24, 2016 at 4:43:38 pm

Hi David - bingo, thanks!

If anyone has a similar issue, the solution was to:

1) import the footage to a new sequence, adjust sequence settings to the footage, change field dominance to 'none' and add de-interlace effect, then export

2) put exported footage to a new sequence, adjust sequence settings to the footage and change field dominance to 'upper', then export.

The end product's motion is smooth both on computer display and broadcast display.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Mar 25, 2016 at 4:22:41 pm

I think you could also just go into the information columns in the Browser and change the field order to the correct setting before putting it into a timeline.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]