FORUMS: list search recent posts

MXF Files conversion with mixed FPS.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pratik Jain
MXF Files conversion with mixed FPS.
on Mar 11, 2016 at 10:27:27 am

I really need help from the experts & that's the reason why I have come to CreativeCOW. We work on Mac machines with FCP7 software. Recently our production house has started shooting on Sony Alpha S7 Mark II & Sony FS7 camera's which provides us with .MXF format. We tend to shoot on different FPS according to our projects, sometimes 25FPS & sometimes 50FPS.

My issue :-
I want to know what should be the best way to convert these MXF footage to Apple ProRes 422 for us to work on FCP7?
I want to throw lot of mixed clips (25,30,50 FPS) all at once & convert them to their native FPS. So 50FPS MXF converts to 50FPS MOV & 25FPS to 25FPS, 30FPS to 30FPS all at the same time.
I have tried some softwares like PavTube but the issue with these softwares is that, they converted all my footages to 25FPS.

Any help on this would be much appreciated. Waiting for the solution desperately.Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MXF Files conversion with mixed FPS.
on Mar 11, 2016 at 5:26:57 pm

EditReady by divergentmedia.com is something to try. Hmmm...not sure it works with the MXF formats...I know it does great with MP4 and AVCHD. They have a free demo, so worth a shot.

I understand shooting 25p and 50p...those mix fine. But why on earth are you shooting 30p? It doesn't make good slow motion for 25p, and doesn't mix well at all. Avoid shooting that format. Stick to 25 and 50.

Now...one thing to consider is, if you are going to use the most current camera technology, you might want to go with a more current editing application. Premiere Pro is the most FCP-like, and it'll work with this format natively. FCX will also import and convert this format. FCP 7 is 7 years old, discontinued 5 years ago. It's getting pretty long in the tooth.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pratik Jain
on Mar 14, 2016 at 6:52:38 am

Thanks for the response. My solution to this entire problem was to use Catalyst Browse. Works flawless. I am able to select clips according to FPS & transcode them.I had also tried the paid version of EditReady but for some reason it converted the footage to 1920x1012 and not 1920x1080?

Return to posts index

Pratik Jain
on Mar 14, 2016 at 7:51:28 am

Also can you please share some light on how to convert XAVCS 100FPS & 150FPS footage? Our editing timeline will be 25FPS. I am assuming that I will have to convert these Slow MO footage to 50FPS & then conform to 25FPS using Cinema tools?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 14, 2016 at 4:53:11 pm

If you shot 100fps, and 150fps...you want to keep that frame rate, not make it 50fps. EditReady should keep the frame rate, no? And then duplicate the clips, and convert the duplicate with Cinema Tools.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pratik Jain
on Mar 15, 2016 at 5:41:49 am

EditReady was unable to to maintain 100FPS & 150FPS, it converted to 60FPS. So finally got the clips converted to ProRess 422 while maintaining the FPS with Adobe Media Encoder.

Return to posts index

Greta Santagata
on Mar 21, 2016 at 1:25:27 am

Hi all,

I have a similar problem, so I hope it's ok for me to post here rather than start a new thread.

I have also been given some Sony a7s footage to edit, which is in XAVC-S format, and I am using Adobe Media Encoder to transcode all the footage into Apple Prores 422.

That's not a problem when the footage was shot at 25fps. However, I don't seem to be able to find a preset for the footage that was shot at 1080 50fps (I have downloaded the Adobe Prores presets from here http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5411)

Do you have any suggestions to help me retain the slowmo footage and convert it into Prores using AME?

Many thanks.

Greta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]