FORUMS: list search recent posts

If I already started a project using 30 FPS clips in a 23.98 timeline, any reason to conform the clips or let sleeping dogs lie?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
If I already started a project using 30 FPS clips in a 23.98 timeline, any reason to conform the clips or let sleeping dogs lie?
on Mar 10, 2016 at 6:29:46 pm

One more question today: i've been working on a film almost done. It's in 23.98. I'm using a bunch of clips that are 29.97. i never conformed them with Cinema Tools. I simply dropped them in the timeline. They play fine without anything notable about them. If I didn't know they were 30 fps, I wouldnt have suspected anything.

is there any advantage to going back, conforming the clips, and then changing each individual clip in the timeline (since doing that will change what the clip is showing)? i'm inclined to say no. It'd be a lot of work for little gain. But maybe i'm wrong and the gain is more than I realize. Should i go back and conform the clips?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: If I already started a project using 30 FPS clips in a 23.98 timeline, any reason to conform the clips or let sleeping dogs lie?
on Mar 10, 2016 at 6:39:46 pm

FCP likes projects with a single frame rate the best. There are two notable exceptions -- 50fps footage is fine in a 25fps timeline, as is 59.94 footage in a 29.97 timeline.

If you CONFORM the 29.97 clips, their motion will slow down. Any associated audio will be out of sync.

But you can CONVERT the 29.97 clips to 23.976 using Compressor. It's not fast, but it does a very good (not stellar) job.

Conforming forces footage into adopting a new frame rate and alters the duration of the original footage. Converting preserves the original duration of the footage and transforms it to a new frame rate.

Depending on the use of the completed project, matching frame rates may be mandatory for you.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
Re: If I already started a project using 30 FPS clips in a 23.98 timeline, any reason to conform the clips or let sleeping dogs lie?
on Mar 10, 2016 at 6:51:16 pm

It's going to be exported as a movie file. I'm converting as we speak. That said, if I don't notice anything when i have exported it before as a movie file, what will i gain by converting now? Will it simply look better in ways I don't realize?

PS - Thanks for all the help today. super appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 10, 2016 at 11:09:53 pm

The reason to do it -- more consistent motion. 29.97 footage images in a 23.976 FCP edit timeline just don't move properly. They move in fits & starts.

"Make sure your frame rates match" -- they're words to live by in FCP.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Mar 12, 2016 at 4:46:02 pm
Last Edited By Noam Osband on Mar 13, 2016 at 2:43:23 pm

I'll just post my follow up to the group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]