FORUMS: list search recent posts

Metadata Mayhem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kathryn L Beranich
Metadata Mayhem
on Mar 10, 2016 at 12:17:12 am

I am almost finished editing a big freelance project in FCP7 and it was just pointed out that my timeline is DV. I need to deliver in HD. I've copied and pasted the project into an HD timeline and it's currently rendering. Since I'm not sure if this is going to work, I thought I'd reach out to you all for advice.

Additionally, the media was delivered to me in different frame rates. So far that hasn't caused any problems, but begs the question: do I need to convert the video to the same frame rate? And if so, 23.98 or 29.97?

Any help is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Metadata Mayhem
on Mar 10, 2016 at 1:19:32 am

[Kathryn L Beranich] "I need to deliver in HD. I've copied and pasted the project into an HD timeline and it's currently rendering. "

STOP!

What sequence setting did you choose? What is the format of all the footage that you have? Is it a mixture of footage types? I'm guessing so because you say you have varying frame rates. Can you list all the format types you have?

How much is HD? How much is SD? If a lot is SD, is quality of the footage important? If so then you need to upconvert that properly, resizing in FCP is about the worst way to upconvert.

[Kathryn L Beranich] "do I need to convert the video to the same frame rate? And if so, 23.98 or 29.97?"

That is ideal, yes. Because FCP doesn't mix frame rates all that well. Some, yes. But 23.98 and 29.97...pulldown is added, or removed depending on the frame rate of the sequence, improperly. So...what frame rate do you choose? That depends, what frame rate are you required to output to? What's the deliverable? Where is it going to be shown?

There is a whole profession dedicated to making sure this is all done right...ONLINE EDITOR (which I am). So if you have one, they need to do this. If you don't, you might consider hiring one. If this is so low budget all you are getting out of it is the occasional Starbucks coffee and PB&J, then I can give some advice, but you'll have to try to do your best to follow along. Sorry, I don't mean to be snarky. (OK, a little snarky)...it's just that finishing things properly requires a whole other skill set, and things need to be done right in order for them to look good.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]