FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best thunderbolt I/O for Imac?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan McGuire
Best thunderbolt I/O for Imac?
on Mar 4, 2016 at 1:58:09 pm

Folks, I have a 27" Imac with both firewire and thunderbolt.
I am editing a long doc feature.
I need a breakout box that ideally will allow me to:
*Bring in analog tape material from a BetaSP deck at high quality
*have an HDMI out for a playback monitor
*have good quality audio outs (xlr? Phono?) for studio monitors

Can anyone make a suggestion? An economical solution is best - I wonder if there is a firewire breakout box that might work, but assume it will be a thunderbolt connection.

BTW, I am still running FCP7 for the initial edit but might bring the project into FCPX or premiere for the fine cut. On future projects I will use FCPX or Premiere.

Thanks very much.
DMCG

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Best thunderbolt I/O for Imac?
on Mar 4, 2016 at 3:43:57 pm

Is there anything preventing you from immediately eliminating FCP 7 from the NLE mix? I would try to simplify the workflow right from the start.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dan McGuire
on Mar 4, 2016 at 5:44:43 pm

Well, I am close to a rough cut at this point. Editing is hard enough - I don't want to try and learn a new program.
I want to winnow down the material to something close to the final version before bringing it into another program (via XML). I plan to bring on an editor to help make that transition and then fine cut, redo titles, sound mix, colorgrade, etc...
So this I/O should work for FCP7 and a newer program.
I am aware of the Blackmagic Design Intensity for $227 and the Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Express $470 which have some of the features I need.
Suggestions? Something else, maybe?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 4, 2016 at 6:03:57 pm

I would suggest AJA hardware, but you need Component and Composite inputs in your list. SO in that case, BlackMagic is the way to go. The Blackmagic Ultrastudio line is what I'd suggest. The UltraStudio 4K is the one that is future proof, and will have the connections you need. Anything less and you can't capture from a betaSP deck. If you have a Digibeta deck, or Digbeta player, like the J-30, with SDI out, then the SDI only models will work.

And all work with Adobe Premiere Pro and Avid for capture and playback...and FCX for playback only (FCX doesn't believe that tape still exists, so it doesn't capture tape)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan McGuire
on Mar 5, 2016 at 1:01:21 am

My Beta deck does have SDI out (as well as S-video, component, and composite). I don't really know how big a difference you'd get on SD footage going out SDI as opposed to out component. the signal will ultimately be up-resd to HD.
Will the Ultrastudio express do it? And how do I get the audio in along with the video? The SDI does deliver the audio as well, yes?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 4, 2016 at 8:15:45 pm

or theres the Ultrastudio Mini that has SDI and HDMI.
you'd then continue to monitor your audio from your Mac's headphone socket,
but there's nothing too wrong with that.

nick

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 4, 2016 at 8:17:26 pm

BlackMagic Ultrastudio 4K. We got one for just this kind of work. You get a free program that comes with it for handling the tape i/o called Black Magic Media Express, which I am not at all fond of, because it only likes to play files that were encoded with the software itself. If you get the Ultrastudio 4k, which otherwise performs well, I'd spring for a separate piece of software to support playbacks and in/out, called Softron;

http://www.softron.tv/

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 4, 2016 at 8:22:59 pm

"a separate piece of software to support playbacks and in/out"

or use FCP.

nick

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 4, 2016 at 8:51:35 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Mar 4, 2016 at 8:51:56 pm

Turns out, you can't always just play out from the FCP timeline; that's what Softron is for.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 4, 2016 at 8:55:13 pm

[Nick Meyers] ""a separate piece of software to support playbacks and in/out"

or use FCP."

FCP 7 and earlier...fine. FCX? Playout, yes. Capture...no. Thus why it's good to have the third party app to capture.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan McGuire
on Mar 6, 2016 at 9:32:15 pm

Forgive this question - I'm not up-to-date - but I assume I only need 4k output for a 4k monitor - but why would I need 4k input? Would that be for a live stream? Or some manner of 4k deck?(?!) Or is it to process the denser info of a 4k signal? Isn't the footage input via Sandisks taken removed from your camera?

I basically edit on my own. When I go 4k I assume the first step, after buying a 4k camera, is to buy an imac with a 4k monitor.

Thanks again.
DMCG

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]