FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sync issues with FCP 7 using Multiclip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pierre Victor
Sync issues with FCP 7 using Multiclip
on Feb 24, 2016 at 3:46:18 pm

I am using FCP 7 with a Macbook Pro running OS 10.10. I am editing about a four minute long piece with four different angles using the multi clip setup. Before I begin, I make sure all clips are synced correctly and all in points are correct. I am syncing the multi clip to one audio track (making a music video). I make edits where all the video is in sync with my audio track. Every time I export a QT video however, the sync is off on one one or more clips, but not on all of them. I have gone back and made sure all my clips are in sync, it all looks fine in my CANVAS, but the same problem occurs when I export final video, video is not in sync with audio on some shots.
I assume this is a playback problem while I am editing the clips, meaning what actually seems in sync during editing is slightly out of sync due to playback quality. If so, how to fix this? My RT setting are set to UNLIMITED, Dynamic, Dynamic, and Full Quality.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Final Cut Pro 7, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Sync issues with FCP 7 using Multiclip
on Feb 24, 2016 at 4:19:51 pm

Well, considering that the last OS cleared for FCP 7 was 10.6.8, you might be encountering OS problems.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Pierre Victor
on Feb 24, 2016 at 5:39:53 pm

Thanks for this, what would be the best fix? FCP X?
Or is there any work around for OS 10.10 with FCP 7?

Return to posts index

Pierre Victor
on Feb 24, 2016 at 9:04:58 pm

Another question: if I download the free trial for FCPX and then decide i want to stick with FCP7 can i go back to it or will it uninstall?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 24, 2016 at 9:41:23 pm

i have experienced something similar to this.
everything loked fine in the timeline, and in FCP, but exports had the video slipped out of sync.

our issue was there was a broken or corrupt TC track on our clips.
solution was to batch export the clips, (they then had slightly incorrect TC)
bring them back into FCP, correct the TC in the TC Modify window,
and then reconnect.

hope that can fix your problem

nick

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 24, 2016 at 9:55:15 pm

first question really should be: what format is your media?
if it's H264, then sync issues are expected, FCP doesn't like it.
you need to convert to ProRes.

iv'e been working with Prores multiclips in FCP7 / OS 10.10, and have no sync issues.

nick

Return to posts index

Pierre Victor
on Feb 24, 2016 at 10:10:15 pm

I always convert everything to ProRes422 before editing. I learned the hard way the FCP7 hates H264.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 25, 2016 at 3:25:56 pm

Can we assume that you have taken the standard remedial steps when FCP misbehaves?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Pierre Victor
on Feb 25, 2016 at 6:39:32 pm

If you mean restarting, yes. Also all files are converted to Prores 422 before importing. Any other steps I should be taking?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 25, 2016 at 7:43:01 pm

Trashing FCP Preferences for one. Using the FCP Render Manager to delete all the project's render files for another.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Pierre Victor
on Feb 25, 2016 at 6:45:55 pm

Nick, can you explain exactly how i wold reset the timecode for all my clips? What does "batch export the clips" mean?
Where in the process do i modify the timecode? Do i select them all and then modify? Forgive me but i'm not too familiar with this. The clips all have separate timecode, they were not synced with one TC source. They were all imported separately and then I just put in IN points on all the separate clips when I set up my Multiclip.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 25, 2016 at 11:37:13 pm

depending on what you used to convert to ProRes, (what did you use? my solution may not be relevant,
however the symptoms do sound similar.
(everything looking fine in FCP, but exports have the video slipped out of sync by a few frames)

you batch export by selecting a group of clips in the browser, and either:
right or control click, and chose "Batch export"
or
go to the FIle Menu > Batch export

you'd export at Quicktime move, Current Settings.
if you clips have audio include audio.
dont re-compress,
don't use in to out

the image and sound will not be re-compressed, but if you have a dodgy TC track, this process will give you a new one.

import the new file/s, open into the viewer. it'd only in the viewer that you can modify TC
to tell the truth i can't remember if we had to modify theTC or not, it was 5 years ago, and my assistant is the one who did this on a daily basis.
check the TC on he new fileā€¦ is it different from the old one?
I think ours was off by a few frames: basically the same sync offset we got on export.
if it;s incorrect fix it.

to re-connect, i will often find the original clip in the finder, and modify it's name by adding an x, say, to the start.
this will force it offline in FCP, the i reconnect to the new file

you would only had to do the clips that are giving you trouble.

nick

Return to posts index

Pierre Victor
on Mar 2, 2016 at 10:02:20 pm

Nick, thanks so much, this did the trick!!
I can't figure out how the TC got screwed up , but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with some of the audio being recorded at 44.1K and some at 48K. Even though I'm not using any of the audio in my final edit, the audio settings on the two files that were giving me the problem were originally recorded at 44.1, but the settings in FCP are at 48K. So I'm guessing keeping everything consistent at 48K from start to finish might avoid this issue. Thanks everyone for your input!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]