FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timeline/Sequence FPS settings do not match video clips FPS settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike rakoff
Timeline/Sequence FPS settings do not match video clips FPS settings
on Feb 23, 2016 at 8:20:47 am

Hello,

I've been editing a short documentary (10 minutes) on FCP 7. The project is my own and just something creative I wanted to cut together on my time and dime (though it came out better than expected).

Anyway, I used footage that I shot myself, 1080p @ 29.97. And me being me, and not slowing down to do proper steps, at some point when duplicating/copying/cutting/pasting my sequences I must have began editing on a timeline/sequence with settings of 23.98 FPS. Now I'm crossing the finish line a week later and have realized I made this error. At this point, I'm gonna assume this is 1 of the reasons I've had render issues with this project. But having made it through all that, my question now is two part:

1) Is there an easy way to convert this back to 29.97 without adding a ton of work to my timeline?

and if there is not an easy way--

2) Should I bother? Assuming I am done and won't be doing any more post work (EX. Sound mixing) And I just export as is for viewing, will I run into any problems in the future with picture quality, exporting, compressing, or uploading? I am planning on posting this on various web sites such Vimeo, YouTube and Facebook.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

-Mike

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Timeline/Sequence FPS settings do not match video clips FPS settings
on Feb 23, 2016 at 3:06:34 pm

Yes, you should indeed fix the frame rate discrepancy! Do it now!

Make a 29.97 timeline. Copy all the clips in the 23.976 timeline. Paste the clips into the 29.97 timeline. Fix the in & out points where necessary, and it will be necessary a lot. Hey, you made a basic error at the very beginning of the edit. You can't expect the fix to be painless.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 23, 2016 at 4:35:49 pm

What he said. When you copy from one time base sequence into another, gaps will appear between many cuts. Gotta fix those manually. And yes, it's A LOT BETTER to have the sequence in a frame rate that matches your footage. Otherwise you'll get an odd, skippy look as random frames are removed.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

mike rakoff
on Feb 24, 2016 at 12:26:28 am

Great. Thanks for the advice on this. And just so I'm doing this step right, just copy everything inside my current sequence, create another sequence with the correct FPS, and then paste everything inside of it?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 24, 2016 at 12:31:58 am

That is correct. Don't get too frustrated fixing the clips. Consider it "learning the hard way".

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

mike rakoff
on Feb 24, 2016 at 12:49:32 am

You would think at some point I would learn my lesson! This might be a dumb question, but my brain already hurts...Is there an algorithm I can rely on when fixing each clip?

EX: For every second of clip move the clip on the timeline forward or backwards X Frames?

Also, because it's a documentary, there are alot of photos with a ton of motion/movements. Will these be out of whack when pasting to the correct FPS?

Thanks again for the help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 24, 2016 at 2:18:43 am

There is no algorithm. You just need to visually inspect the timeline as you go along. And moves on stills will be fine.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]