FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X vs Premiere Pro CS6 ???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Bennett
FCP X vs Premiere Pro CS6 ???
on Feb 20, 2016 at 12:53:12 am

I'm looking for a new NLE since I'm about done with Sony Vegas. Tell me why I should go with FPC X over PP CS6? I am not going to pay a monthly subscription for Adobe CC. I do everything from weddings and events to video biographies, promotional & marketing video, photo montages etc.

Thanks in advance.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures
Capturing Your Life's Adventures!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCP X vs Premiere Pro CS6 ???
on Feb 20, 2016 at 2:22:21 am

Ken,

For the record, it's not like Premiere CS6 is just like the Premiere Creative Cloud, with the exception of the subscription model. CS6 is now ancient software, and it's inferior to CC in so many ways that I can't even begin to think of someone like you taking the time to bother to learn it at this point.

Meanwhile, while FCP X is certainly cheaper, and doesn't have the subscription model, it's an entirely different way of working that has a learning curve much longer than that of Premiere. In addition, unless you work in an "ecosystem" with other editors using X, you'll find yourself isolated from most other post pros in your area if you switch to X, as relatively few editors, colorists, etc. have experience interfacing with X users. And, if your clients aren't using X you'll likely lose them, as most prefer their editors to use the more traditional NLE apps if they do. Of course, coming from Vegas, you were already using non-traditional software, so perhaps using X won't be as much of an issue for you.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 20, 2016 at 5:27:21 pm

[David Roth Weiss] " CS6 is now ancient software, and it's inferior to CC in so many ways that I can't even begin to think of someone like you taking the time to bother to learn it at this point."
+1

Yea that was the point I was making in my post. I agree totally.
[David Roth Weiss] "Of course, coming from Vegas, you were already using non-traditional software, so perhaps using X won't be as much of an issue for you."
Yea, Ken did say he does, "...weddings and events to video biographies, promotional & marketing video, photo montages etc." so I don't think that collaborating with other editors is an issue. Vegas Pro editors are primarily "lone wolves" and don't care much about what "other" editors are using. lol

I came from Vegas Pro to FCP X and I swear that the developers of X had studied a copy of Vegas Pro and then innovated beyond it because a LOT of the same concepts apply but they are implemented more eloquently. I found it incredibly easy to pick up FCP X coming from Vegas Pro. I highly recommend you get a copy of Ripple Training's basic course on FCP X. I was being productive in FCP X the first day after watching their training.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
on Feb 20, 2016 at 12:25:45 pm

I would suggest that you put some time aside and download evaluation / trial versions of some NLE's. When I switched from PC to MAC in 2009, Sony Vegas to FCP 7, it was not quite what I expected and there was a lot I missed from Sony Vegas at that time. There are things I like about all the NLEs, Sony Vegas / FCP7 / Adobe CS6 / Lightworks etc. There are new and old players in the market and it will come down to the way you work, integration with others & export formats, price, and of coarse, functionality.

Personally, I am still using CS6, as it's what I know and I just want to be productive, and rarely now use FCP7 (mostly for solid media management and XML conforming), but am also looking to move forward so I can move away from workarounds. FCPX has a whole new way of working, and I am keen to evaluate myself whether that is a step too far, or a real productivity boost. One thing I find lacking in a lot of NLE's is their handling of sound and their proprietary nature (i.e. not having a true common open cross platform import / export system).

If I were to set aside some time, I would figure out a small project that would include some multi-camera, sound, various formats, transitions, audio effects, possibly also DVD/Blu-Ray creation etc etc, and see which one I could easily work with, and how quickly I could find answers to the questions I inevitably would have for the way I like to work.

I would suggest a few from following for consideration, and they all have demo versions.

Edius (Windows only, although some have it working through bootcamp)
FCPX (Mac only)
Lightworks (Mac / Windows / Linux)
Avid Media Composer (Mac / Windows)
Davinci Resolve (Free version available, Mac or Windows, NLE, Colour Grading, Multi-cam). Also, Fusion is their VFX package, well worth a look.

For photography elements, I have switched to Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer away from Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator.

I haven't listed Adobe CC as you've have ruled that out based on the subscription model. I too partly share that view. I have other software that is subscription based and the day I stop paying, my version will be frozen and I can still use it and work with my old projects. That is a much better model in my opinion and one that if Adobe changed to, I would probably switch.

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
After Effects CS6/ FCS3 / Canon XLH1 / Canon 7D / Reason / Cubase

"it's either binary or it's not"

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 20, 2016 at 5:38:21 pm

[Declan Smith] "For photography elements, I have switched to Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer away from Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator."
Me too. I also replaced After Effects with Apple Motion, and Media Encoder with Apple Compressor so I have no need for Adobe CS6 anymore (even though I still own copy).

Affinity Photo to replace Photoshop: $59
Affinity Designer to replace Illustrator: $59
Apple Motion to replace After Effects: $59
Final Cut Pro X to replace Premiere Pro: $299
Not having to pay a subscription fee to Adobe every month: PRICELESS!!! :-D

And the BEST parts is... I have FCP X, Motion, and Compressor installed on ALL 4 of my Macs! (2010 Mac Pro, 2008 Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini). You can't do that with Adobe products!!! Pick two.. but that's it. I got tired of being treated like a criminal by Adobe.

~jr

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 20, 2016 at 5:14:47 pm

[Ken Bennett] "Tell me why I should go with FPC X over PP CS6?"
Because Premiere Pro CS6 is a dead product that will never be updated to support new OS versions, and never support new camera formats and delivery formats as they come out. Why would you want to move to a dead software product vs one that's still alive? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

FCP X has had major updates every year since it was introduced 5 years ago and ALL of them have been FREE. It's the best $299 I ever spent on a piece of software. It's also the only NLE that I would use because once you remove the limitations of tracks, you really begin to appreciate how effortless editing can be with the magnetic timeline. It's just a totally liberating way of working. You either love it or hate it but I love it and would never go back to editing with tracks.

If you have ever been bitten by Vegas Pro's behavior of sliding grouped events under each other so that they are hidden, you'll love FCP X because it would be *impossible* to do that because FCP X would move the clips out of each others way because clips are not limited to having to live on set tracks. In other words, FCP X's Connected Clips behave much better than Vegas Pro's Event Groups.

But to get back to your original question... Premiere Pro CS6 is DEAD! IMHO, learning it now with no desire to move to Adobe CC would be a bad investment of your time.

~jr

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Feb 20, 2016 at 8:49:41 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. Vegas is a dead end product as is Premiere CS6... unless you want to venture into a paid subscription for CC.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures
Capturing Your Life's Adventures!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]