FORUMS: list search recent posts

QT Reference file taking a long time to complete.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Berch
QT Reference file taking a long time to complete.
on Feb 17, 2016 at 2:17:17 pm

Hi,

I have a time line (Audio and Video) that's about an hour and 20 minutes. I want to make a Quicktime Reference Movie from it.

I start it and it's taking a very, very long time to do it. I thought making reference files were supposed to take basically no time at all?

The footage is HD 1920 X 1080.

I need this file to use for a Multiclip I am making.

Thanks in advance.

FCP 7

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: QT Reference file taking a long time to complete.
on Feb 17, 2016 at 4:39:18 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 17, 2016 at 6:09:13 pm

Mistake #1 -- Making a reference file. Don't. Make a self-contained file. If you need more storage to make it, get it. Storage is cheap.

As for the codec to use and the preparations you should make for multiclp, I leave that advice to other people.

You'll notice I said nothing about your long render time... the term "long time" is meaningless because we have no idea what's going on in your project. Furthermore, "a long time" can vary from "not instantaneous" to "a week", depending on one's point of view.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 18, 2016 at 8:23:56 pm

[Adam Berch] "I start it and it's taking a very, very long time to do it. I thought making reference files were supposed to take basically no time at all?"

What codec(s) are you working in? References files can only be made with intra-frame codecs like ProRes, DVCPro HD, AVC-I, Avid DNX, Cineform, etc.,. Due to the nature of inter-frame/GOP codecs such has MPEG2, H.264, AVC you can't make a reference movie with them so FCP will export a QT movie which is probably why it's taking so long.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 18, 2016 at 9:37:58 pm

Also...if it needs to be rendered, FCP will render as it exports, and then what will be referenced is that render file.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 19, 2016 at 1:15:02 am

yes, most likely the timeline hasn't been rendered.
sometimes a simple Command R isn't enough,
unless your FCP is set up for it, it won't render a lot of the real time playback effects.
even the Render All command (Option R i think) doesn't render "full quality" real time playback effects unless it's set up to do so in the Sequnce Menu render controls.

another gothcha here is that with certain types of (non I-frame) media (HDV or XDCam for instance) there can be no render indicators, and yet, FCP has to create new media for an export.

i saw this on my last project, where we'd have a bunch of XDCam clips in the timeline , no effects.
hit "render al" and FCP has to "render" up to 15 frames either side of every edit.
if you haven't done this, exports of any type can take a long time.

reference files are ok when you're in a rush, or if you just need something to drop into Compressor or Encoder,
but they are risky: they rely on render files that may not exist after a certain time,
so don't bet on them working after a week, and always label them "REF" of something, so you know.

they also do export a hard copy of the audio.
if you don't need the audio, remember to export as "Video Only" on the export page,
then it'll be lightning fast.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]