FORUMS: list search recent posts

The DVX100b still lives

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Rice
The DVX100b still lives
on Feb 12, 2016 at 10:12:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently got a job that was shot on a DVX100b in 24pAdvanced and ingested with these settings:

what is the best way to uprez this to 1920x1080.

Should we convert all footage now?
or
Cut in 720x480 DVCPro (native timeline) using this footage, and then uprez the final cut to 1920x1080? Then insert graphics etc.

The latter seems to make more sense to me. But I am also thinking about bringing this footage into another NLE and cutting there, as FCP 7 is EOL.

When uprezing this footage, can anyone offer any suggestions on how to do it:
Could I use Compressor? If so what settings?
Or should we send to a post house for a hardware uprez? If so, any suggestions on where to do that?

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Andrew Rice
Kenai Productions
http://www.kenaiproductions.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: The DVX100b still lives
on Feb 13, 2016 at 12:29:43 am

I'd say to do the initial cut in FCP. Give yourself really big trim handles. Don't know which shot you'll ultimately want? Put 'em both in the timeline. Then export as Prores.

It's probably a great idea to cut in a Prores timeline, too.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 13, 2016 at 1:05:40 am

The only way to remove the pulldown properly with this footage is to capture it via firewire. So you can't uprez as you capture, via a hardware method, so that option is out. To save space I suggest capturing it as DV and editing as DV until you need to online. ANd then at that point, media manage the footage so you only have clips that you've used in the timeline, and uprez that footage with Compressor. And then add the titles and graphics in a 1920x1080 sequence.

Is this 4:3 footage, or 16:9?

If you don't know how to uprez the footage and do a proper online, I suggest taking it to a post house. I do this for a living, and have often had to redo work that people have done improperly. It is a fine art.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Rice
on Feb 18, 2016 at 6:27:48 pm

Dave & Shane...Thanks for the input! I am sure this footage was captured via firewire. And the footage is already in a 4x3 format DVCpro. In other words it has already been captured. So I am inclined to do as both of you have suggested, edit in a DV timeline in FCP7.

When it comes time to uprez. Is compressor good enough? I have heard that there will be a big difference in quality between a software vs hardware uprez.

Is there somewhere you can point me to, with specific settings, so I can do a few tests with Compressor? I have tried a few things on my own with marginal results.

In the end, if there is a big difference with the hardware conversion, I think the client will want to go for that. So, Shane, could I PM you for a rough quote? I am assuming the finished edit will be close to 90 minutes.

Can we PM on this forum? If not can u send me a way to contact you?

Mahalo!

Andrew Rice
Kenai Productions

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 18, 2016 at 7:23:37 pm

This place doesn't allow for PMs.

Compressor settings, just turn on Frame Controls and set them all for BEST. And be prepared to wait for HOURS for this to finish.

But yes, hardware is best, and there is a noticeable difference. I can give you generics about what I'd do, but not specifics, as this is part of what I do for a living.

Edit in SD. The output of one computer, routed through a Terranex to another computer (both obviously need capture cards)...the Terranex will do the conversion. Also OK to have an AJA Capture card on the capture side, as that does a great upconvert too. And then add text and graphics to the uprezzed version.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Rice
on Mar 17, 2016 at 4:25:08 am

Thanks Shane!

I moved the project over to Premiere as FCP7 is EOL, and I don't want to get stuck with a project I cant re-open or work on down the road. That said I will take your suggestion to work in SD and then up-convert via hardware when the time comes.

Andrew Rice
Kenai Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]