FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transparent text and faded background

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
demi dang
Transparent text and faded background
on Feb 12, 2016 at 12:26:25 am

https://images.creativecow.net/307298/screenshot2016-02-11at7.04.46pm.png

Can someone please explain or show me how to do this faded background/ transparent text?

I know how to do the transparent text but not with the background video image like this.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Transparent text and faded background
on Feb 12, 2016 at 1:05:53 am

That's an After Effects trick using multiple layers and text layers as track mattes. I suppose you can do it in Motion, too... never tried it there.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 12, 2016 at 2:01:55 am

I think you can totally make that in Photoshop. Blank background (the checkerboard)...and then a white layer, and then somehow, using text, chop out holes in the shape of that text so that you can see through to the transparent background (I might fiddle with this later).

And then save it as a PNG or TIFF with alpha. Bring it into FCP, layer it on V2, and make it's opacity something like 85%.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 12, 2016 at 2:18:03 am

Ah...save it as a PHOTOSHOP DOC. but yeah, easy.

Transparent Background - so new Document, 1920x1080 72dpi
New layer...white.
Type in the text and font you want. This will make a third layer. But no worries. Now, rasterize that layer.
Merge the text and white layer.
Using the Magic wand, click on the text, then press DELETE. You now have a hole in the shape of the letter. Do this for all of them.
Save as a Photoshop doc.
Import into FCP. Adjust the opacity to 80%
Add to V2.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

demi dang
on Feb 12, 2016 at 3:44:26 am

Omg thank you so much! So easy to do thanks to your instructions! Just tried it out on my vlog. It's a cool filter look that im going to use on a short film. :) Really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 12, 2016 at 6:24:30 am

No problem! I liked this because I actually had to figure out how to do this, and I like doing stuff like that. I knew it was possible, but didn't know the particulars until I dug in.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Feb 12, 2016 at 3:01:12 pm

Shane you beat me to it. I've been doing this for years. I suggest saving in photoshop as a tiff, as layered PSD's can be seen in FCP as a layered sequence. Save as a tiff then in the second save dialogue box make sure "preserve transparency" is checked. Save and ignore any warnings about layers. The layered tiff will be seen in FCP as a single layer document with alpha text.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]