FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 problems and graphics card

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mickey Power
FCP7 problems and graphics card
on Feb 12, 2016 at 12:20:59 am

I'm now considering swapping my Radeon 5870 Graphics card for something like a Nvidia GTX 570 or 680. Here's why.

I edit a lot of long form projects (50-130minutes) in FCP7 on my mid 2010 3.33ghz MP OS10.8.5.

As the sequences get more complex, with cuts every 3-10 seconds and a filter or two (usually Colorista) on most clips, I start getting problems. It's mainly in the Canvas window. An image stutters or gets repeated, or it gets a green/blue cast, or sometimes it goes to black for one or more clips.

There have been a couple of posters who've described a similar problem. My fix for this is usually to Command-H or hide FCP and then return to it. Or check to see if the scopes window is open and then close it.

But sometimes it all gets too much and FCP crashes. With shorter projects, it's usually not an issue. Just the longer jobs. Given many of these projects are over 100mb, they're slow to open so there's a lot of time lost there.

Any other ideas other than cutting projects into separate smaller projects?

Thanks. Michael

Mickey

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP7 problems and graphics card
on Feb 13, 2016 at 4:48:11 pm

How do you store your footage? What kind of device? How is it connected to your machine?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mickey Power
on Feb 14, 2016 at 2:30:45 am

The footage is mostly on an internal raid.

I know FCP7 is limited in terms of ram it can access and any speed gains newer apps can get from faster graphics cards, but a little more stability in my long form projects would be welcome if that's what a newer card would offer.

(BTW Some of my editing is moving into Premiere etc but there are legacy projects from FCP7 that get updated and this constitutes a lot of our week to week turnover work.)

Mickey

Return to posts index

Mickey Power
on Feb 17, 2016 at 6:24:34 am

Hi Dave

Any further thoughts on this?

As I was saying before, I understand FCP7 doesn't benefit in performance from faster graphics cards but would it at least help avoid the problems I'm having?

Maybe I should consider re-installing FCP? With my previous OS upgrade it was as it was before. Do you think this makes a difference?

Thanks

Mickey

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 17, 2016 at 6:17:15 pm

Oooh, the ominous term, "OS Upgrade". Here are a couple of facts:

The last OS on which FCP 7 ran reliably was Mavericks.
The last OS on which its entire Final Cut Suite ran reliably was Mountain Lion.

Proceed accordingly. Graphics cards matter littlwe unless you're trying to drive external monitors. In which case, you'd want something from AJA. Remember them?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 17, 2016 at 8:10:55 pm

Sorry, the only thing that graphics card power adds to in the FCP suite is Motion. FCP doesn't rely on it at all. Some FXPlug plugins do, but not many. GPU just doesn't really add anything to working in FCP.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mickey Power
on Feb 17, 2016 at 11:07:24 pm

Thanks Dave, I'm still on ML for forseeable future.

Shane, I understand the point of not getting more power in FCP7 from a faster bigger graphics card.

What I don't understand is if there's a relationship between the distorting/non-display of images I occasionally experience when the sequences are long with filters on everything (and this isn't stopping the editing just hampering it) and the GPU.

BTW is there a simple method for re-installing FCP7 without having to reinstal the plug ins?

Mickey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]