FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes4444 in 10Bit: How can I Deliver in these specs and confirm it is in fact 10 Bit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Gregware
ProRes4444 in 10Bit: How can I Deliver in these specs and confirm it is in fact 10 Bit
on Feb 11, 2016 at 5:53:17 pm

Hello All,
I have a unique project which has thrown me down the rabbit hole of ProRes4444 and color depth. I have been given a number of png files at 3840x3240 and asked to create a 10 second animation at those dimensions and deliver in ProRes4444 at 10 Bit with no Alpha. I built my sequence in FCP7 to attempt to insure the exported file is in fact 10 Bit as opposed to 12 or 16 since I've read FCP7 will only export at 8 and 10 Bit. The only software I have that will give me an indication of Bit Depth is Davinci Resolve which shows the file as 16Bit but I have since read that this is a bug within Davinci.
I need 2 things, first to confirm my workflow is in fact a 10Bit workflow and second, how can I confirm the resulting file is 10Bit. I thought Telestream Switch would give me an indication but no such luck. I may be on a goose chase of ProRes4444 with no Alpha, but various documentation I've come across says it is doable.
Please any direction anyone could provide would be an enormous help.

Thanks,
Jim

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: ProRes4444 in 10Bit: How can I Deliver in these specs and confirm it is in fact 10 Bit
on Feb 11, 2016 at 5:57:30 pm

The ProRes codec...ALL of the ProRes codecs...are 10-bit. They cannot be 16-bit...or 8-bit. Only 10-bit. You would probably have to work VERY hard to make it 16-bit, or even 8-bit....and that might take coding chops. It's always 10-bit. It's the nature of the beast.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]