FORUMS: list search recent posts

Onlining: mixed dimensions from Black Magic cinema camera

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tom bailey
Onlining: mixed dimensions from Black Magic cinema camera
on Feb 10, 2016 at 6:01:59 pm

Hi Creative Cowers

I am finishing up a project for online and had some queries.
The majority of the project was shot in Black Magic Cinema Camera 2K (2400 x 1350) and is now stored as dng files.
With one scene in ProRes 422 (HQ) 1920 x 1080p, and a couple of pick ups on a 5D 1080 H264

It seems to make sense to go for the highest common denominator rather than the lowest so I am thinking to enlarge the HD video to the 2K dimensions. If I can enlarge the 1080 shots to sit in a 2K sequence will it look TERRIBLE?

Also to go to a grade would it make sense if I just convert the dng files into video myself? IF not, how do I reconnect them to my FCP 7 sequence?

Any advice would be helpful, thanks!
Bailey

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Onlining: mixed dimensions from Black Magic cinema camera
on Feb 10, 2016 at 6:41:34 pm

Tom,

The difference between 1080 and 2K is so minuscule, why would you even think about upscaling the 1080? Unless you absolutely have to deliver in 2K for some technical reason(s) just edit it all in a 1080 sequence. If you're editing on FCP 7 you will have to transcode everything to QT files, preferably Pro Res, but taking action that eats time, such as upscaling the 1080p footage is just a whole lot of wasted thought and time. Trust me, your audience will not give a damn if your video is 1080p or 2K.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

tom bailey
on Feb 10, 2016 at 7:06:24 pm

Okay, thats good to know.

Will it make much difference if the colourist is grading a ProRes 4444 or dng files?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 10, 2016 at 7:28:46 pm

[tom bailey] "Will it make much difference if the colourist is grading a ProRes 4444 or dng files?"

Also miniscule. If I were you, I'd convert EVERYTHING to ProRes flavors...the 2K bring in at ProRes 4444, the ProRes HQ leave ProRes HQ, and the 5D, bring that in as ProRes 422 (no need for HQ, the only thing you'll gain is 50% larger file sizes). Edit all of it in a ProRes 422 sequence (this doesn't really matter, because you'll be onlining somewhere else...and this keeps render files sizes small).

If you end up going 2K, say DCP for film distribution, that's easy enough to adjust in the online, assuming RESOLVE is being used. But I don't like to assume anything. Talk with your colorist now...before you begin.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]