FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multicam Workflow: Ref videos vs. Multiple Edits

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Gull
Multicam Workflow: Ref videos vs. Multiple Edits
on Feb 5, 2016 at 3:14:37 am

Hello,
I'm currently working on a large doc as an AE and pre-editor. There are over 40 hour long interviews (3cam, 1 boom). My question is whether its better to (after sync) to export reference videos of each track, then bring them back in and multicam, or just cut every time a camera starts again like an AVID workflow and make multiple multicams per interview.

Will making that many reference videos eventually cause glitches or corruptions? Will the online editor hate me for doing some many multicam clips per interview?

PS. I just tried the reference video route, but when I bring it back it, it has to render the video again. Did I do something wrong? (1080 H.264 ~4.5mbs Data Rate, same as everything else)

Thanks CC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Multicam Workflow: Ref videos vs. Multiple Edits
on Feb 5, 2016 at 4:29:45 pm

Which version of FCP is being used? FCX or FCP Legacy (7, 6)? FCP Legacy does NOT like H.264 files for editing. Not at all. If you are going to go the offline/online route with FCP, you either need to use Log and Transfer and convert to ProRes Proxy, or do the conversions in Resolve.

Personally, and this is just me, I prefer one multicam per interview. and this can mean multiple multicams per interview if the card filled up...but whatever. WE have transcripts, and just look up what we need by timecode. Do you have transcripts? And why don't you ask the editor of this project what THEY prefer? That's who you need to cater to.

And typically you sync after you convert and bring into the app. Unless you use Resolve to do the conversions, then you can sync in there and export the Proxy files just fine.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jacob Gull
on Feb 5, 2016 at 9:59:02 pm

FCP 7. Everything was made H.264 1080 at a ~40mbs data rate before interviews were sync'd with PluralEyes 3.5.

Unfortunately, no transcripts. Just lots of markers (separating subjects/events with colors). I have just been out of the AE game for a while and I didn't know what a finishing editor would prefer working with. And I was concerned that we would run into issues with so many reference videos down the line. Plus the reference videos need to render when I put them back into FCP7 for some reason.

Thanks Shane

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 5, 2016 at 11:17:27 pm

Sorry, you'll have to start over. H.264 isn't something that you should be bringing into FCP. ProRes Proxy is your best bet.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]