FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP-7 Fitting a TIFF image into an SD, 16:9 Timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Longfield
FCP-7 Fitting a TIFF image into an SD, 16:9 Timeline
on Feb 3, 2016 at 11:37:10 am

I'm beginning an edit on a documentary that was primarily shot in SD, (DVCAM), Wide Screen. I'm using FCP 7.03. In A/V Settings I have the Sequence Preset, and the Capture Preset set to: DV NTSC 48khz. In Sequence Settings I have the Pixel Aspect Ratio set to NTSC CCIR 601/DV and the QT Settings at: DV/DVCPRO NTSC.

As the first clip in the timeline I have a Wide Screen DVCAM shot, and clicked YES on: Do I want all clips to conform to this setting. So the image from the wide screen video clips look 16:9, (letterboxed on the 4:3 Viewer and Canvas screens - but plays back on a WS monitor and TV set as filling a wide screen TV not letterboxing it).

However, when I bring in a TIFF, still image, (from a photo), it's 4:3 in the Viewer, Canvas and Timeline. Should I have my settings set differently? Anamorphic?

How do I get the still photo to fit into the Wide Screen? Should I Image & Wireframe it to fit? Should I do the same with 4:3 video footage (into this project), as there is archival footage that was shot in 4:3 to be included as well.

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks much.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: FCP-7 Fitting a TIFF image into an SD, 16:9 Timeline
on Feb 3, 2016 at 1:13:06 pm

just blow it up.

set the canvas to "image & wireframe" (one of the drop-down menus top of the canvas)
then grab a corner of the wireframe and pull it out
then grab the picture anywhere to adjust the framing.

or double click the clip from the timeline into the viewer, and switch to the "Motion" tab.
sometimes adjusting the scale is easier from there,
but re-framing is best done in the canvas

nick

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Feb 3, 2016 at 2:46:12 pm

If your TIFF was designed as a wide screen graphic, make sure that the "animorphic" column is ticked when looking at the info about the file. If it's flagged as wide screen, it will come into the time with the correct proportions.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Feb 4, 2016 at 11:22:38 am

Thanks everyone for your responses. The TIFF file is not in widescreen.
I did Image and Wireframe a clip and will burn a DVD with the 16:9 video and the TIFF file on the same timeline to see how it works out.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Feb 6, 2016 at 11:20:04 am

I've tried 4:3 video footage and TIFF images in a 16:9 timeline by Image & Wireframing them to fit the 16:9 Timeline. However this seems to degrade the quality of the image somewhat.

When we all first switched over to Widescreen I noticed that some historical documentaries mixed 4:3 and 16:9 footage in their natural state; but then everyone started to make everything fit the 16:9 screen even with some quality loss, (and obviously the original framing was now compromised. (I wonder if broadcasters requested or required this...?)

Does anyone know of a way to not have, or minimize the quality loss of a 4:3 image, (photo or video image), when placing it in a 16:9 Timeline to fill the screen, (with no mattes) ?

Or..... If we want the quality of the original image not to be downgraded, we must fit it in the 16:9 Timeline with borders, (mattes stc) ?

Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Feb 7, 2016 at 1:42:31 pm

Hi,

i found a good entry on the Ken Stone site regarding fitting 4:3 footage into a 16:9 workspace. Thought I'd share it here in case it's beneficial to anyone:
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/faking_it.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]