FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does having a 2nd monitor cause FCP7 to crash more often?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ned Miller
Does having a 2nd monitor cause FCP7 to crash more often?
on Jan 30, 2016 at 8:56:57 pm
Last Edited By Ned Miller on Jan 30, 2016 at 10:02:57 pm

I know, I know, I have to get away from 7 but I am in the middle of several projects. I keep crashing and having to restart ALL the time. I am on a 27" iMac that has a 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3, running OS 10.9.5, running FCP7 v 7.0

I can't figure out why it's doing this, I have all other apps closed. Do you know if it's the 2nd monitor? I am experimenting with it removed now.

Thanks,

Ned

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com
www,bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Does having a 2nd monitor cause FCP7 to crash more often?
on Jan 30, 2016 at 11:19:23 pm

It's not a second monitor that's the cause, because I have fun fCP 7 90% of the time with a second monitor. It's a very common workflow. BUT...it might be the combination of the OS and second monitor. Try removing the monitor and see what happens.

And what do I mean by that? Well, the last OS that fully supported FCP 7 was 10.6.8. Every version after that goes further away from fully supporting it, as Apple no longer takes it working into consideration. Already Compressor and Motion won't work at all in 10.9.5...so it stands to reason that FCP 7 won't be fully functional.

But yes, do test. Take out the monitor and see how FCP 7 works. If it works fine, then the monitor is the issue. And it won't be "any time you have a second monitor FCP 7 will crash," it's "when running FCP 7 on 10.9.5 on a newer imac with second monitor, it might crash"

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on Jan 31, 2016 at 4:53:34 pm

Thanks for your reply Shane, I always read your posts.

FCP7 without the 2nd monitor is still crashing on the iMac so my plan is, once all these FCP7 editing gigs are done in a few weeks:

• On my 27" iMac I will have the Apple Store do a clean wipe, install El Capitan and force myself to learn X or Premiere.

• On my Mac Pro 2008 Tower I'll have the Apple Store wipe it (2x2.8 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon, 6 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB) and that will become my FCP7 system to re-edit older projects, and you are suggesting I have them install (if they agree to do it) OS 10.6.8. which was called Snow Leopard?

That's my plan going forward, the tower will be for 7 and transfers and my iMac will bring me up to date with FCPX and/or Premiere.

Thanks!

Ned

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com
www,bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 31, 2016 at 4:58:34 pm

That's what I do. I have the tower for FCP 7 projects running 10.6.8. And my laptop has all the newer things. Well, it's also running FCP 7 (but only FCP 7) so that I can do some fiddling with things if needed.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Carter
on Jan 31, 2016 at 5:30:38 pm

If your mac will boot from older OS versions, you can keep an external drive (or a drive partition) with just the system and the FCP apps, and boot from that as needed. I run FCP 6 on 10.7.5 with no issues, but it's a 2009 Mac Pro. When I upgrade to X and a new mac this winter, I'll need to make sure I can open old projects on the new machine, or I'll have to keep a the old tower ready to go. Or you can buy a used laptop to open old projects and export the edit list for newer NLEs, if you need something more space convenient.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]