FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 6 - export trimmed clips for after effects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Carter
FCP 6 - export trimmed clips for after effects
on Jan 30, 2016 at 8:03:06 pm

I'll be upgrading to FCPX and a new Mac this winter, but for now… a question:

FCP 6 - (I missed the 7 update and have never been able to find one) . Projects are interviews; 4k and 1080 prores versions of the same clip stacked on the timeline; I use the 4K layer to reframe (but for my basic edit, it's much smoother to cut the 1080 and 4K with the 4K layer turned off visually, and then turn on the 4K layer for punching in and rendering). So my timeline could be 2 layers (4k scaled and 1080) or I could drag all clips to one layer pretty quickly.

So I may have a 20 minute clip that I've edited down to a 2-minute interview. If I want to do some AE work on the clips, I'd like to be able to just export the trimmed sections (with extra head/tail when transitions are used), work those clips, render, and then import back to FCP6, essentially replacing the original trims with all edit points and transitions intact. And hopefully have everything fall into place on the timeline.

I could simply work a copy of the 20-minute clip in AE, render and reconnect media to the new render, but that's a lot of rendering time, motion tracking, etc, considering I'm only using 10% of the clip.

I could also export the entire edit and work on it, but things like dissolves don't react well to some effects (one thing I'll be doing is adding some diffusion for some older ladies, but want to track and dial it down around eyes).

Thanks for any help with this!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: FCP 6 - export trimmed clips for after effects
on Jan 31, 2016 at 7:02:51 am

this is a job for the Media Manager

select clips or a sequence, and the MM can make a copy of the used media, trim what you haven't used and add handles.

FCP uses file names to reconnect,
plus it references timecode and reel number

if you wait till you are locked off, then use the Media Manager to create a new trimmed sequence, you can send it or any part of it to AE using Automatic Duck
if it;s possible to keep your rendered files with the same names (by putting them in a specific "renders" folder then reconnecting should be very easy,
although you may run in to reconnect warnings re reel# (your renders wont have one i guess)

or, just eye match.

nick

Return to posts index

Michael Carter
Re: FCP 6 - export trimmed clips for after effects
on Jan 31, 2016 at 5:26:00 pm

Thanks Nick - I recalled using MM for similar stuff years ago, but the info I found on it lately seemed more about archiving - just what I was looking for, I'll give it a go.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]