FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to deactive FCP 7 on Macbook before selling

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Smith
How to deactive FCP 7 on Macbook before selling
on Jan 29, 2016 at 3:40:57 am

So my mid 2010 macbook pro has started suffering from the dreaded logic board failure so I'm going to sell it on ebay as is
But I have FCP 7 on it and I just want to deactivate that on the computer (along with everything else) properly before selling... that way I can also sell the FCP program on ebay (if anyone will still buy it)
Seems like dropbox was somewhat hard to deactivate last time I sold a macbook too...
Any help is greatly appreciated
thanks
jared

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: How to deactive FCP 7 on Macbook before selling
on Jan 29, 2016 at 6:40:06 am

you really just need to delete the apps.
that would stop others from using them.

if you want to do a thorough job if it, digital rebellion make a FCP un-instaler, i think.

nick

Return to posts index

Misha Aranyshev
on Jan 30, 2016 at 12:22:28 pm

If delete or uninstall the apps your license will still be there, so installing them again will give the new owner a working FCP install. Remove HD >Library >Application Support> ProApps >Final Cut Studio System ID instead and don't bother with uninstalling.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 1, 2016 at 11:25:27 pm

Just to add to what's already been suggested, FCP 7 isn't 'activated' in the same way that DropBox is activated. Your Dropbox account knows what computers are 'attached' to it but FCP 7 is not as smart/connected. FCP 7 has no idea if the same serial number is being used by more than one person unless both users are on the same network and try to run FCP 7 at the same time.

I assume you are erasing the laptop's hard drive reinstalling the OS before you sell it? That's sufficient to make sure the buyer doesn't have access to your FCP 7 serial number. If you also have Avid Media Composer (w/o a dongle) on the laptop then that you will need to specifically deactivate from the laptop (or you'll have to call Avid and have them do it after the fact).

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
on Feb 2, 2016 at 2:17:32 am

Thanks Andrew... that is exactly what the guy at Apple said today and I greatly appreciate it.
I have already done the time machine backup but I haven't wiped the computer yet cause my buyer backed out but I guess I will go ahead and do that and just put it on ebay.
thanks for the help gang
jared

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]