FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working on an external hard drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jenn Lindsay
Working on an external hard drive
on Jan 28, 2016 at 12:46:21 pm

Hi folks!

Last time I was working on a huge project, I saved all of the footage and FCPX work right onto my iMac local hard drive, which is 3TB. I noticed when I was working on rough and final cuts, especially once the project on the timeline was the whole 60-70 minute movie, the program would start to work really slowly and I'd get the rainbow pinwheel a lot. Plus, on my 3TB hard drive I only have about 200GB worth of space left.

The time has come to open a new library and start a new doc project. I put all the footage directly onto my new 4TB G-Drive. I'm wondering if it is possible to work off of this drive entirely, because it has so much more space available. I actually have two 4TB G-drives and it sure would be nifty if I could figure out a way to link them so that one could back up the other.

Anyway, I guess I could use some guidance on how to open/save/work on a library that is not on my local hard drive. And how to make one external drive back up another external drive.

As a sub-question/afterthought, I guess at some point it would be clever of me to move the very unwieldy enormous library/project I referred to at the beginning of this post onto an external drive as well, but I'm scared that if I do that all the media will get disconnected and chaos will ensue. I still need to work on these cuts for the next year or so, so it is ideal that things remain intact, and there is a LOT of footage so manually reconnecting everything isn't totally feasible.

Anyway, looks like I could use some media management coaching.

Thank you very very much!!
Jenn Lindsay

http://www.JennLindsay.com
iMac 27-inch, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7. 4GB GPU.
FCPX

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: Working on an external hard drive
on Jan 28, 2016 at 1:18:52 pm

you should re-post this in the FCPX Techniques forum.
this one is for FCP7 and under.

nick

Return to posts index

Jenn Lindsay
Re: Working on an external hard drive
on Feb 1, 2016 at 8:12:47 am

will do. Thanks!
Jenn

http://www.JennLindsay.com
iMac 27-inch, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7. 4GB GPU.
FCPX

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]