FORUMS: list search recent posts

two editors working on the same project on fcp 7: workflow question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nikolas Vavouris
two editors working on the same project on fcp 7: workflow question
on Jan 20, 2016 at 5:24:27 pm

hi all!

i'm new in fcp (i'm more familiar with media composer) and i'm going to edit a project that has already been worked on fcp.

shot mainly in 7D over a long period of time, the whole material has been transcoded to prores 422 and now occupies about 15TB of hard disk space. the project has been "split" in several fcp projects (let's say that each project covers one shooting period and then there are several others that only have edits).

i would like to be able to work in parallel with the other editor and exchange timelines.

my idea is to recompress the projects that correspond to each shooting period (that's where the master clips are) to prores proxy and try to reconnect the projects with the edits to those. this way i intend to gather all the material in one 5TB hard disk and i assume that the timelines i get from the other editor will reconnect easily. is this assumption correct? any ideas?

every piece of advice will be very much appreciated!

thanks,
nikos.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: two editors working on the same project on fcp 7: workflow question
on Jan 20, 2016 at 10:37:24 pm

Sorry, you can't think of this like Avid. FCP needs exact file names, and exact file paths in order to reconnect. Going to Proxy MIGHT work, but the file path, hard drive names, file names....everything needs to match EXACTLY or it won't work. You might try testing it with a couple small sequences linked to a couple clips converted. it's not like Avid where if it's in the MXF>1 folder and the timecodes and reel are the same, it'll just relink, no issue. THis is a bit trickier.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Misha Aranyshev
on Jan 21, 2016 at 2:05:21 am

The advantage is when it's time to go back from Proxy to HQ you can point FCP to whatever set of media you have.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Vavouris
on Jan 21, 2016 at 11:57:01 am

thank you so much for the quick reply!

i'll do some tests and see how that works, although from what you're saying it would be better to make exact copies of the disks...

i already miss avid :-)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 21, 2016 at 5:41:15 pm

Yes, EXACT copies works best.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved