FORUMS: list search recent posts

XML for MP4 files in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guillermo Gomez
XML for MP4 files in FCP7
on Jan 18, 2016 at 6:34:21 pm

I am trying to import some H264 MP4 files into FCP7. Each one has its own XML file. When I try, I get this message:
ERROR: No translation templates matching the selected XML file were found. Unable to import this file.

I have no problem importing the MP4 files into Premiere, but I prefer to work with FCP7. Is there a way to get the XML files to work in FCP7 without having to transcode the MP4s?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: XML for MP4 files in FCP7
on Jan 18, 2016 at 6:56:07 pm

Unlike Premiere Pro, FCP doesn't work with H.264 files, nor MP4. SURE...you can simply drag them into the project (not using the XML...just drag and drop) and they will APPEAR to work. But no, FCP will burp up some problem while editing, or especially when exporting/outputting. And mainly sync issues.

Those MXL files don't import. If the MP4 files come from a Canon 5D or 7D, and you can find the Log and Transfer plugin for that camera (long removed from Canon's site as FCP 7 was discontinued 5 years ago), then you could use LOG AND TRANSFER. But if you don't have that plugin, or these files come from another camera type, you can't use Log and Transfer. You'll have to use Compressor or Mpeg Streamclip to convert the files to ProRes 422 first, THEN import into FCP 7. Yup, you must. As i said, FCP 7 doesn't like H.264 files...major issues with them. And yes, the file sizes will increase.

I suggest starting to get more familiar with Premiere Pro. Not only because the files go right in without any conversion. But because FCP 7 is dead software. Discontinued, won't be updated, and more and more work is moving away from it and to Premiere Pro (with some going FCX, and some going Avid). or learn FCX because it too can edit H.264 native just fine. BUT, Premiere Pro is the most FCP 7 like app, and there is a keyboard layout setting that will mimic FCP 7.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]