FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Advanced Color Correction

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Caldwell
FCP 7 Advanced Color Correction
on Jan 17, 2016 at 3:31:01 am

Hello: I've got a job opportunity that requires advanced knowledge of FCP7 Color correction including secondary corrections using color masks, shape masks, etc. I've got basic skills but was looking for tutorials covering more advanced issues. I looked at Lynda.com but they only have a basic tutorial for FCP7 that has a 7 minute segment on CC.

Anybody know of in-depth tutorials on this subject? Thanks for your assistance. Dan.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP 7 Advanced Color Correction
on Jan 17, 2016 at 8:01:02 am

FCP 7 doesn't really have too advanced color correction tools. No masks nor shapes. Just the three-way color corrector and overall corrections. For advanced tools, Apple included COLOR. You send from FCP to Color to get all that advanced color correction. See what Lynda has to offer for COLOR.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Caldwell
on Jan 17, 2016 at 4:23:25 pm

Hello Shane: Thanks for the help. Apparently, the person writing the job description wasn't familiar with FCP7. They were describing something more like FCPX. I'll look at Color. Thanks. Dan.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 18, 2016 at 2:00:03 am

If they require FCX, you'd better start learning how to use FCX.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 18, 2016 at 3:12:34 am

best yet, study up on RESOLVE
it's a dedicated colour grading application,
like Color, but up to date and much better.

nick

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 18, 2016 at 4:53:52 am

Yes...FCX to Resolve is much better....but know that Resolve is pretty complex too. If you use FCP 7...the FCP 7 to Color round trip is slick.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Dan Caldwell
on Jan 18, 2016 at 5:13:22 am

Hey: Thanks to all who responded. The possible client has used FCP7 for years and is going to migrate to Premier. I've got basic FCP7 navigation skills but come from years using Avid. So, FCP7 3 way CC is very basic.

I do have a simple question you may be able to answer. The adjustments in both graphic and numeric interfaces don't have much finesse. Is there a way to use the arrow keys or some other keyboard method to bump the values by one number value at a time. I'm trying to see how to make subtle changes to luma and ped levels. Thanks for the help. Dan.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 18, 2016 at 5:28:11 am

the level sliders have tiny (very tiny!) arrows on either end,
clicking on them gives you one value bump per click
i found that hovering my mouse over the slider and using my scroll wheel gave me 4 value bumps per wheel click around.
this may well be different for a different mouse.

using my mouse wheel is a great way to get close to what i want, value wise.

nick

Return to posts index

Dan Caldwell
on Jan 18, 2016 at 11:53:03 am

Hello Nick: Thanks for the note. I knew there had to be a mechanism for fine adjustments. Thanks for taking time to respond. As I continue to brush up on FCP7 the other area that has limitations is audio tools. The EQ is pretty primitive. Giving that all changes require rendering, I guess that there's no way to make live dynamic adjustments; e.g. adjust EQ while listening to a loop.

Return to posts index

Dan Caldwell
on Jan 18, 2016 at 12:09:08 pm

OK. If I had just looked a bit harder at the manual I would have found the Looping Playback instructions the first time around. I'm sorry I asked a question about something in the manual. Dan.

Return to posts index

Dan Caldwell
on Jan 18, 2016 at 12:44:19 pm

Well... I found the Looping Playback instructions but looping stops and I need to render whenever I try to make an adjustment. What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 18, 2016 at 1:13:57 pm

hi dean.

one possibility is that you haven't adjusted your FCP user prefs. (under the FCP menu)

he default number of audio tracks is 8, which is ludicrous.
up them to 24 at least.
filters use up track locations, so thy may have pushed you over the edge there.

another possibility is that you are using mp3 or AAC audio.
dont.
it may work, but it may not, and you cant tell when it wont, it's unpredictable,
convert all audio for FCP to AIFF or WAV

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

Dan Caldwell
on Jan 19, 2016 at 11:39:47 pm

Hey Nick: That was it. I was importing .mov files for experimenting and when I imported a wav file the the EQ filter behaved properly. Thank You very much. Dan.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 21, 2016 at 10:15:26 pm

Hi Dan.

you do know that FCP prefers ProRes, and a few other standard codecs?
it doesn't like h264 or other lightweight codecs.

if you use them, you may be ok, but you may also have issues: sync, weird exports, clicking sounds, etc.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]