FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need assistance optimizing editing flow on an existing project!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Hixon
Need assistance optimizing editing flow on an existing project!!
on Jan 9, 2016 at 6:40:56 pm

Okay, here is my problem (no one has been able to come up with an answer yet): an editor I am working for has transferred a full length feature (almost completely edited) from premiere CC to fcp7. The footage is showing up in FCP7, but the playback is extremely laggy given the high res files that Fcp7 has to play back. Is there a way to make an entire project offline? Or a way to optimize the speed of editing so there is no lag. I know I could import footage and make it offline, but the project is already heavily edited so I would want to retain the edits that already exist. Is there an answer??

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: Need assistance optimizing editing flow on an existing project!!
on Jan 9, 2016 at 9:44:45 pm

what do you mean "Is there a way to make an entire project offline?"
there's 2 meaning

you want to take all the media offline, as in it's not connected?
select all, then Shift D, or Modify Menu > Make Offline

or you want to create low-res versions of the media?
you can use the media manager,
but it'll be hard going doing a whole project.

"the playback is extremely laggy given the high res files "
could you give more details please
codec, frame size

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

Matt Hixon
on Jan 9, 2016 at 9:54:35 pm

I want to create low res versions. Right now most of the footage is either in proves 422 or 4444 so I'll need a way to edit it in a low res version that can be transferred back to the original format when the edit is complete. Right now I am trying to use MPEG stream clip to create smaller prores files - then relinking the media in the project to those new files… then hopefully being able to relink back once the edit is complete. Does that seem like a good idea?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 9, 2016 at 10:05:12 pm

MpegStreamclip?
that might work, although im not sure it will retain timecode and reel# metadata,
in which case it WONT work.

Compressor, or FCP, will retain TC and reel#

you don't mention frame size.
if that is HD or 2k, then you only really have to worry about converting the 4444 to 422 or LT.
if you are reducing the frame size, then you also would be better off using the FCP Media Manger to create new projects with the appropriate frame size.

can i ask why you are doing this rather than working in Premiere?

Return to posts index

Matt Hixon
on Jan 9, 2016 at 10:14:39 pm

frame size is 2048x1152

I do not want to reduce the frame size, but will start to try compressor to try and retain the tc and reel metadata .

I am not working in premiere because the editor of this project has changed (I am the AE) and the new editor doesn't use Premiere but instead uses FCP7. So I am setting up the feature for him to be able to edit easily.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 9, 2016 at 10:27:01 pm

ok, cool,
FCP should handle the 2k and you only have to worry bout the 4444 media.

FCP itself will do that nicely, with no changing of the file names.
you can batch export, or use the media manager.

compressor will add the setting to the new file name unless you tell it not to,
and you'll have to strip it (easy to do with a batch re-naming app)

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

Matt Hixon
on Jan 9, 2016 at 10:28:45 pm

Thanks. Any chance I could get a step-by-step on proper batch exporting from FCP?

Return to posts index

Matt Hixon
on Jan 9, 2016 at 11:06:57 pm

Or better yet… what should I be exporting the files to? I don't see an option for prores 422 2048x1152 at 23.98 fps

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 9, 2016 at 11:08:18 pm

You can use the Media Manager in FCP to RECOMPRESS the footage to ProRes Proxy. NO need to use Compressor and relink or anything.

Also...FCP 7 plays back ProRes 422 and 444 Quicktime files JUST FINE...I just did it for client playback. BUT, you do need a drive fast enough to handle it.

Also...the editor needs to move on from FCP 7 and learn current software. Premiere Pro is SO DAMN SIMILIAR to FCP, you can even map the keyboard to be the same. It's SO CLOSE that it's basically FCP 8. So, instead of just progressing with Premiere...that's EASY to pick up...this editor is wasting time and money having you convert everything? Sorry...as a fellow editor who also uses FCP...and Premiere...and Avid...I have no patience for people who go "sorry, I only edit with FCP 7, so you need to make it work." Especially since FCP 7 was discontinued FIVE YEARS AGO!

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 9, 2016 at 11:10:18 pm

Batch Export works from the Browser,
you select a group of items, or bins, and chose FIle > Batch Export,
or you can right click on the items.

from memory now, in batch export click the settings button at the bottom,
the dialog window is fairly self explaining.

- set a destination
- you want to make a quicktime movie
- the setting you want may not be available form the choices in the pulldown,
so first make a custom setting for this project in FCP';s A/V settings (under the application menu).
remember what FCP calls 24fps is NOT 24fps, but 23.976
if you add an asterisk or similar to the new setting name, it'll sort at the top which is a good thing

- DONT use in to out points
- your reconnecting will be simpler of you add the standard extension. (.mov)

when you click OK on the window you then have to click on the export button lower left.

if you stop the batch, and need to re-start it,
right click on the red "cancelled", and change it back to "queued"

to do new items, chose to batch them in the browser,
then in the batch export window, you can drag the new items into the original bin, if you want,
saving you having to re-enter the settings.

nick

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 9, 2016 at 11:14:46 pm

Shane is right that 4444 should play back of a fast enough drive.
USB3 or thunderbolt should cope with it.
even a single drive should be ok, but fast scrubbing may be an issue?

nick

Return to posts index

Matt Hixon
on Jan 9, 2016 at 11:18:05 pm
Last Edited By Matt Hixon on Jan 9, 2016 at 11:38:28 pm

ACTUALLY a different Q… if I don't have to relink my media then how does it work? I thought I was going to export it to a drive and then relink it to the footage in the project, but no?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 9, 2016 at 11:22:02 pm

as i said you have to create custom settings in the A/V settings window.
you DUPLICATE an existing settings that is close to what you want,
then EDIT it.

nick

Return to posts index

Matt Hixon
on Jan 9, 2016 at 11:38:58 pm

ACTUALLY a different Q… if I don't have to relink my media then how does it work? I thought I was going to export it to a drive and then relink it to the footage in the project, but no?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 10, 2016 at 12:24:50 am

you don't have to re-link if your drives are fast enough.
you are saying that they aren't.
you could copy everything to a faster drive.

if you re-compress, then yes you have to re-connect.

nick

Return to posts index

Matt Hixon
on Jan 10, 2016 at 7:22:37 pm

Thank for your help this far everyone! So I tried to batch export files and I placed them on a separate drive away from the original media to see if the new media would connect with it, but then when I tried to reconnect the media FCP told me that some of the attributes of the new file do not match the original (media start/end, reel and number of audio or video tracks). How do I troubleshoot this problem? Also is there a quicker way to reconnect the media then going to each individual file and saying reconnect media (maybe this will be solved once the first question is answered?).

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 10, 2016 at 7:48:39 pm

If you want to make lower res files of existing high res files, the BEST option is to use the MEDIA MANAGER and RECOMPRESS the files to ProRes Then take the high res offline. Batch Exporting might not carry needed info like REEL or TIMECODE.

Or...all this time the editor could have been working in Premiere and found out how similar it was to FCP 7.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Hixon
on Jan 10, 2016 at 8:15:14 pm

Ok thanks again. I am trying that out now. I'm only doing it to about 10 files of no more than 30 second length and it says that the transfer will take about 2 hours… is there a way to make it faster (are my settings messed up somehow)? Also should I be creating a new project for these files? There is an option to do so, but I didn't check it because I figured it was unnecessary.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 10, 2016 at 9:27:24 pm

batch export most definitely WILL carry reel# and timecode.
however, it wont carry all the audio tracks, so that can be a problem if you didn't go double system (separate audio)

you can get the reel warning if there is no reel# on the files.
no reel# can also make media manager take an inordinately long time IF you are working with subclips.
MM will export the entire file, not just the sub-clipped section

(subclips could also explain the start/end warning)

no reel# is a worry.

you can also get reel# and start/end warnings on audio tracks like music or sound effects that aren't 48k

are you working from the clips in the project?
you need to RE-IMPORT the original files.
it's best to do all this conversion work in a new project.

re-conecting isn't super simple,
it'd be best to to take all the originals off-line first.
now you could try to find all the 4444 files in the edit project and take them offline,
but you can only search for codec or source (file path) in the browser, not the timeline.
timeline searches are limited to name or timecode, so you'd probably be hampered.

they way i'd do it would be to modify the file names of the originals in the finder by adding an x, say, to the start, using a batch re-namer. (something that is easy to revert.)
do this with the projects closed.
then re-connect to the new files.

another way would be to copy them off to another drive.
FCP has to not be able to see them.

if your going to do that, why not copy to a FASTER dive, and continue working with them.
i dont understand why your drive is not fast enough.
is it FW800 or USB2?

transferring an entire project from one platform to another is not a quick or simple thing to do.

nick

Return to posts index

Matt Hixon
on Jan 10, 2016 at 10:59:28 pm

Okay there must be something I am doing wrong because when I send out the files in media manager (there are only merged clips in the browser so I am transferring the merged clips to 422 proxy) they come out split into audio and video and the video can't even be brought back into FCP. I have no idea how this happened.

Batch export is not working as well because of the timecode problem. it does not recognize the files as the same media and it would take FOREVER to link them cut by cut.

Any chance someone has a detailed step-by-step of how to properly do this?? There must be something I am doing wrong because I feel like this shouldn't be going wrong every time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]