FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render files are gone. Is there a solution?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Render files are gone. Is there a solution?
on Jan 7, 2016 at 3:58:31 pm

I'm finishing my final project on FCP 7.0.3 It's a 25 minute film with a lot of things that need rendering. All the time I render....close the project and eject the drive...and when I turn it on the next day, what I rendered is gone. I can see the render files existing in the render folder in my docs.....but I have the red line at the top of the sequence. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Render files are gone. Is there a solution?
on Jan 7, 2016 at 5:51:30 pm

Don't eject the drive.

No, really -- why are you putting render files on storage media that can be ejected? You aren't doing yourself any favors. Render files should go elsewhere.

And if you don't have the room on your main storage device or your startup drive, you need more storage.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Jan 7, 2016 at 5:56:44 pm

The render files are on the same external drive as the rest of the project. Should I not do that?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 7, 2016 at 9:14:53 pm

I wouldn't. A lot of people have reported your render file problem when the file path has become disrupted.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Jan 8, 2016 at 2:15:31 pm

From what I think you are saying, you are closing your project then ejecting your media drive? Although it is good practice to eject external media drives prior to shutdown, doing that when you've closed your project but FCP is still running could prove disastrous. When you quit FCP it does all it's internal housekeeping before it actually quits. So if it can't find the media drives it can't log the last used state.
Eject your media drives only when you have finished with FCP and/or shutting down your computer.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Jan 8, 2016 at 6:20:38 pm

I always shut down FCP completely before ejecting the drive. I mean, I can't eject the drive without shutting down FCP. I save the project, close FCP, and then eject the drive. I still am having this problem though. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Jan 9, 2016 at 1:56:13 pm

You could try trashing your FCP preferences. There's a handy tool for doing this. Preference manager by digital rebellion.

https://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]