FORUMS: list search recent posts

Horizontal lines visible in Video When Viewing on 30" Cinema Display Monitor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Monskey
Horizontal lines visible in Video When Viewing on 30" Cinema Display Monitor
on Dec 30, 2015 at 2:48:36 pm

I have never seen this condition before. I do not know if it is a graphics card issue or an OS issue or something else.
Recently I replaced my 2008 Mac Pro (it died) with a different 2008 Mac Pro computer. It has a new Solid State Drive for a start up disk, EL Capitan for the OS and a replacement graphics card I was told would be better than my original one.
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
When I reloaded all my original software I could no longer use some of the original versions (Adobe AE, Photoshop, Illustrator) so I upgraded and am using the cloud versions. After Effects mentioned I need to use a special version of graphics card, but the program will make due somehow with adjustments or something.
I am using Final Cut Pro 7.0, as I had been with my original computer.
Just on my most recent project (the first since my computer replacement and upgrades) I now frequently see horizontal lines across my screen. I had thought my system just couldn't keep up with the HD video when playing. I have added some special effects (flashes I created myself years ago) to the video, which I have done to many of my previous videos. Every one of the flash effects have lines going across them when I review the video---although they are not there if I advance frame by frame. There are only about 2-3 of these horizontal lines in the whole screen, not like an interlace issue with dozens of them up the screen. These lines show up every now and then in regular clips as well during video play.
I wonder if this is a graphics card issue and I have to replace that now, if it is my OS not liking some old effects graphics or if there is something else causing this.
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Horizontal lines visible in Video When Viewing on 30" Cinema Display Monitor
on Dec 30, 2015 at 3:53:47 pm

Curious: what do the frames with the flashes and the frames with lines thru them look like on the wave form monitor? What I'm getting at is, maybe this is an artifact from video levels being over 100 IRE?

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
Re: Horizontal lines visible in Video When Viewing on 30" Cinema Display Monitor
on Dec 30, 2015 at 11:40:01 pm

Here is the waveform and the accompanying image for the clip adjacent to it. It is very hot, but I have used these flash effects for years and never had this problem. (I hope the image shows up and I am following directions properly). Plus, other clips with softened white are also having the problem now and then that do not have the flash effect on them.

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 30, 2015 at 6:05:45 pm

Could it be interlacing at 1080?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Dec 30, 2015 at 8:22:59 pm

i'm seeing a fair bit of this since i started using the more recent computers with the "western" Operating Systems.
i thought it was our frame rate of 25 not syncing with the refresh rates of the screens.
we also saw it when we used a projector as a second desktop,
so we wound up screening from Quicktime rather then FCP.
we never found a solution.

nick

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Dec 31, 2015 at 4:33:54 am

Dave,
I want to rule out and understand all possibilities to resolve this issue. However, I do not know enough how to check the interlace at 1080 possibility. How do I assess this?

The frame size is 1280 x 1080 with the same aspect ratio (1280 x 1080 HD 16:9) and pixel aspect ratio. Field dominance is upper (odd) and QT video settings are using DVCPRO HD 1080i60 for compressor.

How do I determine if there is interlacing in the clips if it is not a specific filter?
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Dec 31, 2015 at 6:51:15 am

"dominance is upper (odd)" so the clips are interlaced.
dominance of none would indicate progressive

" QT video settings are using DVCPRO HD 1080i60 for compressor"

probably interlaced, unless you change any field settings

interlace artefacts appear on computer screens as horizontal "combing"
you'd see it more on fast movement

you DONT see it in FCP as it by default only shows you one field at a time.
you can see it in FCP on a freeze frame, and if your canvas or viewer is set to 100%
(maybe HD will show interlace at viewer or canvas size of 50%, I'm not sure)

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]