FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Advice: Not credited in the final project.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ramin Doostan
Need Advice: Not credited in the final project.
on Dec 25, 2015 at 8:33:41 am

Hi,

I'm in a tough position. I'm an editor with a few years of experience in the field and I am in unfamiliar waters at the moment.

I've learned the hard way to draw contracts for any sort of job I do. I took a job to edit a music video for a friend, an artist without a written contract. However, being an easy and trusting guy, I accepted the artist's word saying he'll pay my compensation after the video is released since we started on good grounds and he's known me for a few years and we've done some work together before.

I spent 70+ hours on the project and knowing the artist as "a friend", I handed the final video to him to take it to a lab for color correction I didn't hesitate to oblige. However, I just saw the video online today and found out that I'm not credited at all. Instead, he credited himself as the director and the editor.

The money is of an less importance. What hurts the most is not being acknowledged for all the hard work I've put in on a discount rate for a hopeful artist who's on the budget to make a break in the music video scene.

The video is on YouTube and is sent to be played on a few TV stations. I'm here pleading for any advice from fellow editors cause I'm in a situation I have never been put into.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Need Advice: Not credited in the final project.
on Dec 26, 2015 at 1:01:55 pm

Have you talked to your friend? Explain that they got a discounted price and that credits would help to compensate for it. I would think if you were really friends that you could talk about it and come to some agreement.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Dec 27, 2015 at 2:33:03 am

i agree w John, if you are friends, you should be able to talk it out.
i doubt very much you'll ever see any money, although it would be great if you did.
i mean did then clip have a budget? if not, then don't expect anything.

however if you did the work, you should get the credit.
if your freind says 'Yes, but i told you what to do"
well, that's why he gets the Director credit.

nick

Return to posts index

Ramin Doostan
on Dec 27, 2015 at 2:45:39 am
Last Edited By Ramin Doostan on Dec 27, 2015 at 2:46:35 am

I've called a couple of times, he's not answering.

I know his family and I can tell people in the industry what he's done, but that wouldn't do good for me.

Can I ask YouTube to remove the video on copyright ground? Something like a creative work copyright?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 27, 2015 at 1:06:58 pm

[Ramin Doostan] "Can I ask YouTube to remove the video on copyright ground? Something like a creative work copyright?"
Did your contract say that you retain the rights to the work? Oops! That's right... there is no contract! So he can claim that you were just a "work for hire" and have no rights to any claims, not even credits.

You really need to try and contact him and explain that you object to him taking editor credits when you did the editing and that you would like to receive credit for your work and that it's not worth tarnishing your friendship over this. Otherwise, just chalk it up to experience and never work without a contact again.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Ramin Doostan
on Dec 28, 2015 at 3:36:12 am

I don't know about work for hire.

"I've created the video and I haven't given him permission to use my work. If you use a photo I took even though it's photo of you that I took, doesn't give you the right to use it commercially without asking for permission. My camera, my equipment, my artwork."

Would the above statement have any grounds asking youtube to remove the video?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 28, 2015 at 3:24:58 pm

Sorry, Ramin. You are out of luck in every respect for this job. You should protect your future and read up on "work for hire" before you do another gig.

But chalk this one up to "Tuition in the School Of Life".

Return to posts index

Patrick Donegan
on Dec 30, 2015 at 1:54:44 am

Oh, I have issues like this a few time.
It is about how they respect you or not,
and then how they will respect other friends that are professionals,
yet feel they can get a deal called "free" or
"you do it for the exposer" and then "forget" to credit the work.

My advise:
Give that friend one more chance to "come clean."

And then get to the next project, and don't forget to use some of those tricks
that you did for this past video project.

FCP X 10.2.2 - user since FCP 1.25
iMac mid 2011, MBA mid 2012
HVX-200, Shure wireless mic

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]